Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-24-2001, 04:14 AM
Inactive User

Post Ram Air??? FREE TURBO??? Tornado???

Who here can tell me a bit about Ram air and some of the do's and don'ts or point me in the right direction. Also have you heard of the tornado of the spiral induction..or whichever they call it. sortof a free turbo idea swirling the air to create a vortex and causing more air to be drawn in and compressed... FREE TURBO! Anyhow have any of you tried that and one last thing if I was to put in a simple Ram air system in my car How do I keep the water out.... what KInd of filter or screen.... Thanks in advance for all the help!

CHRIS
Old 12-24-2001, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

that tornado thinkg your talking about....not quite a turbo i do believe the product has merit though as it ensures the air and fuel stay mixed as they head for combustion. its kind of like a blender that whips up the air before it enters the carb or throttle body.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:57 PM
Inactive User

the tornado.. the big thing i would worry about, is you try to create the smoothest path possible for the a/f mix to flow down. then you toss this in. you create turbulance. I'm sure it's great for low end torque, but I think it would kill the upper end. I havn't run one, but it seems pretty cheesy looking. give it a try, and tell us.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Default A friend

One of my friends friends..... built what he calls a mixture between a ram air system and a something or other??? lol

Anyway what he did in his 77 sattelite is remove the headlight and run the ram air intake thier he replaces the headlight assembly for road use! anyhow the biggest adaption I can see is he had a hose fabricated for him for just this purpose. The hose has fins around the inside of the tube running the length of the tube not all the way to the middle of the tube he claims this cause the air to swirl! which in turn creates a suction and consequently air enters the carb at a higher compression ...not sure about the exact amount but he claims it gives him an extra 20 hp at about 35 mph... What do you think?

WWW.SPIRALMAX.com is where I found the spiral or tornado technology.... take a look and let me know what you think
Old 12-26-2001, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

I don't really think that thing would be worth any HP.
I ran Ram air on My Volare and got a .15 and 2 mph increase.
Around 20HP. That swirl thing will swirl the air up to the Carb but the combustion doesn't take place until the cylinder so it will not be swirling in the intake. The big gain is just getting rid of the enclosed aircleaner. Ram air does help the topend charg and gas mileage giving cool air to the engine.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

Glenn440, did you have to change your carb jetting at all for this?
Did you see any kind of mileage increase ?
Old 01-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

we and others have tornado and no one noted any gains.69 Dart 318 fresh,72 ElCamino 350,89 Ford Bronco 400,88 Ford pickup 302 EFI.In my opinion Id rather spend one a K&N top.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Inactive User

Where any gains in mileage noted with the ram air setup? I have a 69 dual snorkle with cylindrical snorkles that I thought would be great for ram air.

Glenn440 says its good for 20 hp up top, thats pretty significant. What about gas mileage?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

I didn't do any comparisons but my 400 got the same mileage with the ram air and .528 cam as the stock magnum. My friends with there trucks are saying they get around 40-50 extra km a tank with a small ram air setup. Mine was huge. I ran 2 -14"x4" heat registers in my front spoiler that fed 2 4" hoses that went to my custom 4" drop base air cleaner that takes one of the biggest filters that is 14" in diameter and 4" high. This thing goes from valve cover to valve cover.
As for jetting, I could not over jet it so I don't know what the limits were but it would just get to a point where the car didn't go anyfaster, but the plugs would stay looking good.
That was my prototype and this time around I'm going to improve the sealing of the system and make removeable front screens for the spoiler inlets as I think the window screen cut airflow in half. Also I want to make the ductwork out of pvc plastic tubing.
I"ll try a mileage comparison next summer, but it will have to be on a route I know how far it is cause my speedo is way off.

All I can say is with my setup the car really turned on at 100mph
My car ran 13.35 @ 101.5mph with no ramair on its 5th pass and then turned a 13.19@ 103.8 then 13.14@ 104.2mph. with just dropping on the ramair. To make sure the fuel stayed cold when going slow I had a heat sheild and a wood spacer under the carb.
I was fighting some fuel probs and I drive to the track and was my only transportation so I never had a real chance to test it. I was playing with cam timing and found 6 tenths between 5 advanced and 12 retarded, I went from a 13.75 to a 13.14 going from 5 advanced to 7 retarded.