Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-27-2001, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Default PCV system, is it really necessary?

Hi,

At a Dutch Mopar board (yep, we have such a thing, although we obviously don't have too many members) we're having a discussion about the PCV system.

Some people remove everything that smells to environmental controls (US cars are notorious for it) and they also cut away the PCV system, but I believe that the PCV system is also beneficial to the engine (to get rid of corrosive blow-by gasses and vaporized water) and should not be removed.

Has anyone something to say about it? Can you safely remove the PCV system or is it needed to prevent sludge?

I will forward the answers to the Dutch board.
Thanks,

Frans Veldman
Old 12-27-2001, 11:13 AM

I don't like the PCV, simply because the government ordered it, but on a street car, it does keep the engine bay cleaner, because it keeps the blow-by gases in the engine, unless you have a worn out engine with no rings left. On a 100% race car I'd unhook it.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:20 AM

Sure you can remove them, but expect to change the oil more often. You are correct in the fact that it does rid the crankcase of vapor, there by keeping the oil cleaner. You can remove the carb vacuum source and use your headers to evacuate the crankcase, this is better for throttle response because you are not using "dirty" air as your intake charge. Mount the pitot tube on the collector and run a rigid line up around your valve cover, then remove PCV valve and hook her up. Lots of vacuum, make sure the old PCV valve is at the front of the cover, or youll be sucking oil at hard acceleration, and blowing a big cloud.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:44 PM

Don't forget, the crankcase vacuum also improves ring seal.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:25 AM
Inactive User

There are two primary purposes of the PCV system. One is to direct harmful vapors away from inside the engine for all the reasons indicated above, and then some. The second purpose (regulated by many governments, not just the U.S.) is to control/eliminate the release of these harmful vapors into the atmosphere.

Certaintly you can do away with the PCV system by using valves and pumps to direct crankcase pressure directly into the atmosphere and avoid all the problems associated with pressure buildup.

However, the PCV system, more than any other emission component, reduces the most amount of harmful emissions with the smallest effect on engine performance, that messing with the PCV system, in my opinion, would be a wanton diregard for the environment. The components to maintain the PCV system are dirtcheap, so you can't say it's expensive to maintain. Besides, converting to an open system may require more maintenance. Please rethink your mind before messing with this system.

These sites provide good PCV info:

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/engine...tsb_94-2r.html

http://cardogz.com/columns/auto/archive/1999_10_18.html
Old 12-29-2001, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

agree with reducing crankcase pressures! It helps evacuate the crank case pressures. I noticed on a buddies car when we disconnected the pcv system he started getting oil leaks! An alternative would be to install the Moroso crankcase evac system to the exhaust pipe. Just my .02
Old 12-30-2001, 04:29 AM
Inactive User

Actually a PCV is a good thing in that it increases ring seal,removes unburned hydrocarbons from the crankcase which pollutes your oil and is the ONLY lubrication for the valve stems/guides,the last being by far the most important from a longevity standpoint.I see NO disadvantages from running a PCV although on a High RPM (7000)or High Horsepower engine(600+) I would run an evac system...........PRO......