Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2001, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hey all. I recently tore apart what I thought was a nice clean Carter AVS. When I looked inside I found a lot of that powedery oxidized crap in the bowl areas.

My question is - What will clean this crap out of the carb?

I assume that it is all through the small passages and air bleeds, possibly blocking them.

I took it to a machine shop to have it cleaned and he said he wouldn't touch it because nothing would clean it out. I find it completely unbelievable that it can't be cleaned up.

I have tried Carb cleaner, to no avail. Any one have suggestions?
Old 02-04-2001, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

There is a difference between spray carb clean, and carb clean that is in a drum that is used at repair shops. That stuff will eat plastic and rubber. Take you carb to a quaility carb repair shop. If one is not near you search some of the car mag. Hemmings Motor News has lots that specialize in classic car carbs. There are tiny passages in the carb that spray carb clean won't touch. If the passage is glogged no cleaner will get in the passage to clean it out.

------------------
Old 02-05-2001, 03:36 AM
Inactive User

Also if you go to a machine shop you can ask him to soak it in his aluminum cleaner,where they soak pistons to be reused,and dont pick it up on time,let it soak a few days..PRO...