Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-29-2001, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

Default 440, 383, 360 or 318?

I am going to replace my 318 in the old 68 Polara and replace it with something with a bit more power. I am thinking about a 440 or a 383! I was looking for a good site that has remanufactured engine for sale @ a good price. So may question to you guys is What type of engine should I go with in that model car? Where can I get a good site for prices? Should I do a rebuilt, new or remanufactured engine?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2001, 01:20 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Sit down and do the math. Is it to much to buy a Mopar short block or mucle motor short block? Is it more fun to do your own rather than buy one out right? How much time is needed to complete your project? These things you have to decide.
Big or small block...your pref again. I'd go big. More so in a big car.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

I would go with rebuilding it yourself. 440 in my opinion to get that polara moving. More torque!!

The Grump!!!
Old 12-29-2001, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

Have you already looked at your local junkyards for rebuildable cores? Any place that would have the old Newport wagons or something like that? What about Texas Acres junkyard? Should be plenty around without having to spend the same as a crate.
Happy Holidays and a Faster New Year!
Old 12-29-2001, 08:46 AM
Inactive User

Any of the engines will fit. If converting to a big block you will need the transmission, and maybe a bigger radiator. Also check the radiators lower outlet so it matches the waterpump your using. I would only use the longer stroke engines like the 360 or 440 as they have more torque than the 318 or 383. The 360 would be easier since the accessories and brackets from the 318 should work, and the small block should get better gas mialage. The 440 will have more power, and use more gas and you will probbably have to find the accessory brackets fo hook up the Power Steering, A/C, and alternator.

The above assumes the engines will be built/rebuilt for your application. The stock 360's were usually very low compression, undercammed engines, but when properly rebuilt they make great performance engines. The 440 was alaways the top of the line engine that came with 4-bbl and a decent exhaust system.

The choice will depends on how much power you want (or need), and how much you want to spend.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:47 AM

360 MP Crate motor?
Old 12-29-2001, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

Default 440-all the way

To have any fun in a 4000+ pound car without constantly high revs, only a 440 will do. Keep it simple. get a 440/727 combo from you local pick-a-part. On a good day it will run you less than $200 from carb to output shaft. Any car up to '72 will give you the good steel crank. Get a good local performance-oriented machine shop to do your short block, heads, blueprint and balance. Get an RV cam or the mileage will kill you. Get TTI headers, aluminum intake, stock heads at 9-10:1, 3-angle valves 700 cfm carb elec choke. This will run forever at acceptable mileage, move your c-bod around like an import and fit fine. The hard cost will be around $3,500, installation and assembly extra.

As previously pointed out, you'll need a new radiator, accessories front suspension, brakes and other things to take advantage of all this power, but in a c-body, these items are all fairly easy to obtain at the junkyards. In a perfect world, you're looking for that one-stop polara big block car at the junkyard.

Come to think of it, its quite likely that you can find a big block polara of similar vintage in great running condition for a lot less than $3,500. it comes down to your personal attachment to this particular car.