Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2001, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but have been fooling with Mopars since I could turn a wrench. I am considering using a Moroso elctric water pump for my mild street/strip 440. This is the one that bolts to the water pump housing in place of the stock pump, thus requiring a minimum of mods. NOT the separate electric motor with belt. I'll be drag racing the car mostly, but also drive it to the track. Currently I don't have problems, running a Griffin rad, electric fan, AC stock pump, and separate trans cooler. However, I'm looking to free up a few horses and upgrade the alternator, so any one's experience with the Moroso unit would be apprecieated.
Thanks.
P.S. The car is a 71 Satellite 2-dr wagon running 13.35 at 98 MPH
Old 02-04-2001, 10:28 PM

A friend of mine has one on his 454 69 Nova. His car is pretty potent (for a Shivvy) and it is cranking out around 650 horse. He drives his to work once or twice a week during the summer. He has never had a problem with it and he says his car doesn't get anywhere near running hot. He said it was an excellent investment. But something I didn't know, MOROSO actually makes one of these for a MOPAR? WOW, some of these manufacturers are starting to realize there is more cars out there than just Phord and Shivvy.

Sly
Old 02-04-2001, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, Sly
I saw the Moroso unit in the Jeg's online catalog, but minimal tech info was included with the listing. The Moroso website is currently under construction, so I'm also interested in numbers - how many gph it flows, current draw, rebuildability, etc. This pump costs 100 dollars less than Meziere and CSI units, which also require additional parts and some fabrication, while the Moroso unit simply bolts in place of the factory pump, onto the factory housing.
Nonetheless, it is good to know that the comparable unit for a BB chevy works on the street.
Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2001, 04:25 AM
Inactive User

The advantage of the other pumps (CSI, Meziere, and Sho-Gun) are getting rid of that iron water pump adapter. Just less weight off the front.
Old 02-06-2001, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

I just found a picture of the CSI pump in an online catalog. It has no provision for a thermostat, so that nixes it for my street/strip application. I don't mind having the iron adaptor ( later, I could buy the MP aluminum one) because if the electric pump dies, I could put the stock pump bsck on with pulleys.