Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-02-2001, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

i saw a bolt in 5 speed conversion kit from this company called keisler. it looks really cool. i wondering if anyone else has dealt with them before or actually has this kit. check it out www.keislerauto.com

------------------
AKA GRNFSH: 70'cuda 440+6 ,2000 4x4 3.9L dakota sport
Old 02-03-2001, 04:47 PM
Inactive User

A Tremec TKO is a very tough tranny, I have one in my 427 Cobra replica. The thing about this kit is it seems very expensive considering you can buy a Tremec (retail)alone for about $1250. It doesn't seem like the remaining $1645 for re-drilling your own Bellhousing a hardware kit, pilot bearing and a fabbed-up sheetmetal tranny mount is any great value. The sum total of the balance of the kit should be about $500 max. That's about $1800 total plus a good 20% profit would bring the price to about $2150. I would only consider a kit like that if they included a clutch, pressure plate T/O bearing and flywheel.

Good idea, it would work very well, its just way too expensive for what you get IMO. You can buy the tranny and adapt it yourself for a lot less money.

Wize 1
Old 02-03-2001, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I looked at this earlier,but wasn't sure how strong the Tremec 5spd is.Streetwize says he has one,so it ought to be good behind a big block.It's a interesting deal though.I'd like to put a deal like this in my Road Runner,and be able to keep the pistol grip shifter as well.Streetwize also brought up a good point about the price,I too think it's a bit expensive,but also don't know if you have to use a hydraulic clutch release system.Street,can you shed some light on this??
Old 02-03-2001, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

I've got a hydraulic captive throw-out that attaches to the tranny case at the input shaft; it's slick because you dont need any type of release fork, just a small Tilton master cylinder tied to the clutch pedal; this is pretty standard fare for Cobras.
I would imagine that since this kit works with the standard/re-drilled MoPar Bellhousing, they adapt the MoPar mechanical throw out to the Tremec shaft. I think it would be better to have a custom Scattershield and Aluminum flywheel with a Mopar bolt pattern and using the Ford/Tremec
PP dimensions, then you can just use the Standard 10.5" Ford Centerforce Diapragm pressure plate/clutch and fork with either a small slave cylinder or adapter mechanical linkage to the pivot arm using mostly off the shelf parts.

Wize 1
Old 02-04-2001, 03:55 AM
Inactive User

I saw this ad and thought it was expensive also. I also saw an ad in PAW for a Richmond 5&6 speed that had the housing set up for big block Mopars. It was $2000 for the 5 spd and $3000 for the 6 spd. If I remember right it was set up for the 18 spline. I didn't pay alot of attention because I can't hide that kind of money from the old lady..... yet.
Old 02-04-2001, 11:32 PM
Inactive User

thanks guys, good input, ive been wanting to swap in a 5 or 6 speed in my cuda for some time and although this kit seems like a good package i agree its too expensive. like wize one said if they threw in the clutch all it would be great

------------------
AKA GRNFSH: 70'cuda 440+6 ,2000 4x4 3.9L dakota sport
Old 02-05-2001, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Keisler also does some electrolumenescent dash restorations for '66-67 Chargers. I had him rebuild mine, but it took him over a year and a half. I kept calling and calling, only to hear differernt stories each time. I had to kiss his butt for weeks for him to send the stuff - he actuall got upset because felt I was being impatient! What a pigf@$%^&!

Finally, the dash got installed. It worked for about 4 months, then his specially rebuilt tach (w modern transistors) went haywire.
You think I sent it back? No way. -I'd rather eat crankcase shavings than deal with that jackoff again!

with due restpect,

Icycleboy

[This message has been edited by icycleboy (edited February 05, 2001).]
Old 02-05-2001, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

There is a story on this 5 speed swap in the new MCG. The kit comes with a hydraulic bearing assy, no Zbar or any mechanical linkage is required and the way I read the story, the clutch comes in the kit.

Monte Smith
Old 02-05-2001, 08:18 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

The kit is also desinged for a car that either currently has a Manual or an automatic so anyone can just buy it and install it in their car no matter what is in it now. The big thing is the gear vendors over drive is the same price and most 5-6 speeds with the same gearing run 2-3000. I don't think they are way out in left field for the market. But I do think that the whole market is out in left field and should be way less as then they would make more money buy selling more units than trying to make there money back on one sell.

Christian

------------------
Http://ThunderRacing.Knudstrup.net/

68 'Cuda 383 Best of 8.363@83.78 in the 1/8mile which is a mid 12 with a 1.89 60ft
Formula S recreation not original but making like they should have at the factory) Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 02-05-2001, 08:36 PM

GTXMONTE - The clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and special throwout bearing does NOT come with the kit. Here is the info from the site ( http://user.icx.net/~skeisler/Transm...ansmission.htm ).

PRODUCT CONTENTS

Every Keisler 5-Speed conversion package is a COMPLETE kit. The Mopar kit contains the following:

Transmission - prepared to your application and overdrive spec

Bellhousing - Core Required or available through Keisler Automotive - Mopar bellhousing CNC re-machined in-house for high accuracy of centering, flatness, parallelism and engine mounting (dowel pins bored and bushed, engine mounting holes spot faced). Based on demand, we can provide brand new super high-strength heat treated aluminum bellhousings. Please request if you would like this product. Safety bellhousings are also available.

Sealed Needle Roller Pilot Bearing - high accuracy, long life hardened needle bearing far exceeds quality of original bronze oil bushing

Crossmember - high strength, precision fabricated and plated for corrosion resistance

Mount - heavy duty rubberized mount with large surface area

Speedometer Cable - brand new speedo cable, properly geared for your car

Wiring Harness - soldered terminals and molded connectors all encased in rugged loom

Hardware - automotive grade fasteners properly sorted and labeled

Installation Manual - Simple, easy-to-follow manual with pictures

OPTIONS - Available at great prices

Drive Shaft (optional) - new 3" high strength alloy steel tube with large

DANA/Spicer u-joints and new super duty 31-spline yoke

McLeod 10.95" Diaphram & 10.95" Borg & Beck (OE style) clutches at Jobber Prices!

McLeod 10.5" Dual Disk clutch with lightweight steel flywheel combination (lighter weight & clutch pedal effort) at Jobber Prices!

McLeod 10.5" Dual Disk clutch with lightweight aluminum flywheel combination (even lighter weight & clutch pedal effort) at Jobber Prices!

Throw-Out Bearing with proper bore for Keisler 5-Speed, $60

New Steel Flywheels, 130 tooth & 143 tooth

New Aluminum Flywheels, 130 tooth & 143 tooth

Bolt-On Pistol Grip Handle, new, $295 (5-speed pattern available), use with any application

B-Body Handles, ball style, new, $275

Hydraulic Clutch kit - master cylinder, reservoir, slave cylinder, fitments, instructions, $550

For a LIMITED time, they will throw in the driveshaft for free.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
'69 Coronet 500 Convertible 440-4

[This message has been edited by ehostler (edited February 05, 2001).]
Old 02-06-2001, 05:28 AM
Inactive User

Like most magazine stories, you get some of the facts but not the ones you really need. Like how much it costs and what you get for that cost. The story kind of led you to believe that EVERYTHING was included.

Monte Smith