Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

Default Drag Slicks

Has anyone heard of slicks made by Toyo tires called "PROXES"? I just saw an add in a trade magazine for them today and I'm wondering if anyone out there has used them. What do you Moparites recommend; I have to buy new slicks this year so I need info to make the right choice. Thanks..........djs
Old 01-04-2002, 02:46 AM
Inactive User

Hmm. Never heard of them but I would imagine they are for the import guys if Toyo makes them. All we run is MT. Alot of guys at the track this year switched to hoosiers and most didnt like them at all. Everyone has said they are switching back to MT or good years this year.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down drag slicks

I worked at a tire store and we sold toyo proxes street tires.
I would agree w/ dartman360 saying there probally for imports!
If their new i wouldnt trust them till they get a good reputation
Old 01-04-2002, 05:22 PM

Exclamation Drag Slicks

djswwg
I've used Phoenix slicks (ex-Firestone) for years and have had great results.
This link will give you more info on them:
http://www.phoenixtire.com/TSpecs.htm

Myron
Old 01-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Inactive User

I couldn't be happier with the hoosier d.o.t. slicks, 11.5 inch, hooks hard and consistant.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

Bob what is the height of your tires? We are deciding on what to do this winter to the dart. It dont look like the convertable will be selling before the race season starts so we got to do something. We want to try and stick a 28x12 under it next season. We are going to cut the rear end down some and get the new axles. Also looking into a mini spol.

ALso are you going to the 42 Banquet and did you see the schedule for next year? Dont really know if it affects you any as you dont run points or anything but Mid ohio is having a meet in July if you havent seen it yet.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Inactive User

Dartman, its a 28x11.5x15 on a 9 inch wheel with 7 1/4 backspacing, wheel tubs are widened and springs moved in, I run a full strange 30 spline spool with stock axles, hopefully getting Moser axles real soon.
I don't go to the banquets, did you do good in points?
What's at mid-ohio?
You can email me at quick340@neo.rr.com
Old 01-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default Slicks for sale

If your interested....I have a set of almost new 9x27.5x14 MT's for sale.
I bought them last sept. for the regional final and made 6 passes on them.
I'm going to bigger Goodyears to match the 4.56 rear end I just installed.

The rims are 14" with a 5" backspace and they are mounted with new tubes...the whole package cost me over $500...I'd like to get $300 for all.

Don
Old 01-05-2002, 01:37 PM
Banned

Default Correction

Rims are 14x8 with 5" backspace
Old 01-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Gentlemen; thanks one and all for your replys! I've checked out the Phoenix website and guess what-they even have a distributor here in Ontario. I'll contact them for pricing and so on. I was surprised to hear that Hoosiers aren't liked. Oh well, good thing I asked. Does Goodyear still make drag slicks, or are they a thing of the past too?..........djs
Old 01-05-2002, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Default To: 71 Scamp re: Hoosier Dot slicks

71 Scamp,

Nice car and quick too! Do you run the Hoosier Quick Time Pros on the street; how long will they last on street duty and do you run the racing tubes and pin the tires?
I picked up a set of 9x26x14 Hoosiers for my Dart; tired of spinning the M/T SS tires.
Thanks,
Gary Pavlovich
Old 01-06-2002, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Gary P., I ran my first set of hoosier quick time pro's on the street and strip for 2 summers and was very impressed at how long they lasted. I now have a new set of hoosiers and a new set of rear wheels with regular radial TA's for the street. Trying to make the cheater slicks last longer. I do run tubes and do screw the tires to the rim. You'll be happy with your hoosiers.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

Default 71 Scamp: Regarding Hoosiers

71 Scamp:

Thank you for the reply on the Hoosiers. I have the same idea of running another set of tires for general street duty and slap on the Hoosiers when I want to get some hot street action w/o spinning.
What brand of tubes do you run, meaning, do they need to be special tubes for slicks or will reg. psgr. car tubes be safe? Heard that a special tube is required to keep from spinning inside the tire and overheating or shearing the valve stem.
Can you shed any light on this?
Thanks again and feel free to e-mail me off list if you like.

Gary Pavlovich
glpavlovich@home.com
Old 01-06-2002, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

Bob. I think we are going to mini tub it, move springs, and cut the rear end this winter. I think we are going to go with the strange axles as Chuck can get us a good price. We didnt run points this past year. We wouldnt of done any good even if we did as all the trouble we have had this past year. But next year we are eighter going to run at Norwalk or 42. We are going after that bracket champ program that the Ihra is going to have this year. Randy is also going to run that as he wants to get a feel for the car before the blower motor goes in. It only has a 93in wheel base so top end will be fun. So we is going to make it go mid 8's and stay constant. Mid ohio meet at 42 is in July 24 or 25 I cant rember. I posted it in the calender part of this site. It is sat and sun. So far no classes have been realsed yet. But we have been fighting this for 3 years for them to have an event thier so atleast they go somewhere. Dave Hall who puts on the triple Crown show will probaly do all the hard work with this and figuring out the classes. For info will be coming soon on that though. Hopefully you can get one of those days off or both and come out. Did you figure out what you want to do with those mufflers yet? Let me know. Tried your e-mail and it came back. Cant wait till we get private messaging back here. Talk to you later. David
Old 01-06-2002, 09:33 PM
Inactive User

DJSWWG,

I run Hoosier Quick Time Pros (29x11.5x15) on my Duster. They hook up good. I run Cooper GT's on the street, 425 hardness. They work good for burn-outs and goofing around. The Cooper's are slippery on the highway. Duster has a lot of torque. Hoosier's cost too much to run on the highway.
JMHO!
Jim
Old 01-06-2002, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Jim................djs
Old 01-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Inactive User

Gary, I run the M/T tubes, you have mail.

Dartman, did you email me through moparchat or did you use the address I typed on here? I've never had a problem with my email. I'll be running at quaker city, I love that track! Is that mid ohio thing the Mopar meet their having at 42, I noticed their having some kind of mopar meet, I'll be there for that. What is your email address, if you don't mind putting it on here. I'm ordering Moser axles so I'll have to hold off on buying mufflers, sorry about that. Even if I get a new quieter exhaust system I'll probably want to keep the flowmaster system for the street nats and stuff like that, love to make noise there! Even the wife says I buy new mufflers every year and end up going back to the flowmasters, oh well. I think I'll like the straightlines though. We do need private messaging again so we don't have to chat on these threads.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

ok. Thats no problem. Just wanted to see what you wanted to do with them before we went and bought some. I think that is what we are going to go with. I used the e-mail you put in here. But I have alwise had problems e-mailing people with Road Runner. My dad has spent to much time helping Randy he has not done anything on the car. We also want to get the glass hood on this year. We were thinking about running at Quaker because of their JR program. Randy wanted me to run what would be last full year running JR's before he started me driving anything else. I hope to have so seat time in the dragster or the pro mod sometime this year. But when you have raced with everyone at 42 for the last 10 years its hard to leave everyone. I also hate to tie up these post for replys like this. My e-mail is Dfreeo912@cs.com I have no problem getting e-mail from people on RR but most of the time it wont send back to them. oh well. Talk to you later