Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Default rear fender tubs

I saw a set of tubs on an old chev pickup that had a radiused corner instead of the sharp corner type that is typically seen where you slip the two pieces together. I'm not sure if these were custom fabbed? Has anybody seen these and who sells em.
Thought about getting a trailer fender and trying to make up a set. Any thoughts?
Roger
Old 01-06-2002, 11:26 PM
Inactive User

Trailer fenders are really thick metal and would weight a lot. I just used a pattern to follow the same shape as the stock well this works really good on the inside I just had to notch the seat frame a little to clear the wider tub.
Here is a pic if I can get it to work.

Old 01-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

ICEBERG- Have you had any problems with dints or the tub rubbing through your quater panel? Seen alot of people put the 2 surfaces toghter and the tub will rub it way through. Most people will seperate the 2 by about 1" or less.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

Dartman360- I have about a 1/2 gap between the tub and the qt. pannel. I just filled the rest with 3m seamsealer from both sides. So far it seams to be working good with no cracks.
Yes its true you dont want it to touch or it will make an up dent on your qt pannel when the car flexes.
I took a little extra time to cut and weld the trunk lid hinge support to the tub like the factory did I think it helps make the tub stronger and I used a little thicker sheet metal because this is not a full race car.
This is on my 69Dart. On the 66 Coronett I had more room so I made a outer side to the tub and welded it to the wheel lip like the factory did this works good too. But the Dart just didnt have enough room for the tires I wanted so I thought I would try this and see. So far so good.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:33 AM
Inactive User

Ok i was just wondering if you butted it right against the quarter or not. I like it. Its a nice clean job. You dont see to many of those. Most just do enough to where it works and thats it. Will your back seat still fit in the car? When the hardtop gets tubed he wants to leave the back seat in. But it will also be backed halfed.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

here's what i do i take another set of wheel wells out of another trk cut the center section out weld the two back together bingo wheel tubs for a trk looks oem with some mud an paint
Old 01-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Dartman360- Ya the rear seat still fits. I did have to do a little work on the seat back. It already has a notch at the bottom rail for the stock tub I just sectioned it and moved the notch over about 2" and rewelded it back togeather. It works great and the seat cover still fits fine you will never notice it once the seat is back in.

6packdart- the problem with just sectioning the stock tub is that the ouside wall is about 11/2" to 2" from the qt. pannel and you lose that much more room for the tires.