Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Inactive User

Default run without a dip stick?

I bought a 426 wedge 500hp INDY CYLINDERHEAD crate motor and they said not to run with a dipstick because it will blow oil out the stick! is there any truth to this? how do you check the oil, sight gauge. anybody? george 68rr
Old 01-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

In our 426 Indy head wedge we do not have a dip stick.
Engine builder said "race motors don't have dip sticks. Watch for blue smoke & leaks, if neather exists then when it's time drain, you refill with correct quantity for the pan you are using.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

When you hear a loud, metallic, knocking sound, add 3 qts. Seriously, I don't know why a dipstick would cause blowing oil, but I'm a novice, no race experience. Just my .02, unless you change the oil every time you race, seems dangerous.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:37 AM
Inactive User

Yes oil and or the whole dip stick could blow out. We have never ran on in the dragster and the exact amount that comes out goes back in. I would by whatever size pan that is going on it.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:58 PM
Inactive User

Realize that race motors don't normally run crankcase breathers. Breathers and PCV are used on the street to reduce crankcase pressure which minimizes oil leaks and increases MPG by reusing unburned gas from blowby. Race motors don't want to reduce crankcase pressure because it increases blowby and reduces HP. For this reason, you can develop a pretty could pressure in the crankcase and blow oil out anyplace that will let it like the dipstick.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

I'll offer a dissenting opinion here.

I was told that same story about "race motors don't have dip sticks....." a number of years ago by a noted Mopar engine builder but I didn't buy it. I want to be able to check the oil level in my race car engine before I start it every week to make sure it's OK before I "hear" that it's not. So I installed a stock type dip stick and tube and it doesn't leak and oil doesn't blow out. I also have vented oil fill caps on the valve covers however. And if a stock type dip stick and/or tube leaks in your application, than I've seen some other types that have screwed in dip stick tubes and clipped on dip stick caps that would definitely work. In any case, I would NEVER bet my $5,000 or $10,000 race engine on an assumption that it had enough oil in it cause that's what I put in a month ago and I don't see a puddle on the ground!

kekoakeakane: I think you have been misinformed about crankcase pressure. Your comment about "Race motors don't want to reduce crankcase pressure because it increases blowby and reduces HP."is not correct. In fact, some amount of crankcase vacuum is very desirable in a race engine because it helps the rings seal. That's why a lot of people run their valve cover breather hoses to a check valve in their header collectors and why Pro Stock engines (and some others) use vacuum pumps on their crankcase.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

I agree with Jack. You are going to want to be able to check your oil. I would not bet anything on the oil I thought I had in my engine. I can't afford to replace it like the PRO's. In mind mind, you would want some way of neatly venting the crankcase, or your underhood would look like hell by the pressure causing oil to seep out everypace it could.

An excessive + pressure in the crankcase I would think would rob you of power, so I agree with Jack on that point too.

I used to run without a dipstick too....only because of excessive blow-by it would blow out! GM boys carried spare tranny's and rods in the truck...I carried spare dipsticks!

Mills
Old 01-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

Well, you're not suppose to run with scissors, so the same run could apply. LOL

I've never had a problem with oil blowing out the crankcase. But I also run a header evacuation system.

Ockham's razor - Check oil level with a dipstick or drain the oil and replace with new oil.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:36 PM
Inactive User

We have 2 breathers on the dragster. One on each side that runs up to header. Sometimes you can get away with it sometimes you cant. But who wants to blow a dipstick out in a middle of a run and blow oil out. Then you could also have a problem their. The dragster is closly monetered because the oil was changed after every 2 passes. Sometimes after every pass.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Default JACK Z

I like the idea of screwing in dip stick tube which now has an allen head plug in it now and say thread the end of tube and screw on a pipe nipple with a allen plug screwed into this. Than i could check oil level from the top of the motor by removing plug and using dipstick! great idea JACK Z GEORGE 68rr
Old 01-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Angry Dipstick story.

I have experienced the oil out of the dipstic tube thing. It turns out that the WRONG tension rings where installed in the engine and was letting some of the compression get into the oil pan, and it was finding it's way out thru the dipstick tube. I had breathers in the valve covers so it was vented. After the engine was re built, by MPG in Highland Park IL 847-432-2887, this never happened again. This engine is run on the street, and the dipstick hasn't moved unless I'm holding it.

sounds like the engine shop is trying to hide it's faulty workmanship from you, and then say 'did you check the oil', when something lets go. But I always look for the bad in people, sorry.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

George
I have found that this problem is caused by crankshaft windage and is even worse with stroker motors, I do install dipstick tubes butt install a rubber vacume plug with a small clamp, keep the stick in the trunk.

www.BestMachineRacing.com
Old 01-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

Default Best Machine

Great idea! Yes this is a stroker motor and i want to keep a close eye on the oil level . thanks for your info GEORGE 68rr