Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-09-2001, 03:22 AM
Banned

Question

My 68 Charger R/T is coming apart in a hurry! Now I really need to make decisions on things and get them ordered. I've got an 18 spline tranny headed this way and a STOUT roller motor hopefully getting built pretty soon.
1)suspension rebuild - I was looking at the PST $369 kit - what's your opinion?
2)rear sway bar or not? This is going to be a street/strip car - with a lot more street!
3)shocks? KYB from PST? Suggestions please!
4)Larger .96 torsion bars or not?
5)Radiator? Stock or aftermarket aluminum - WILL have A/C here in Texas!
6)Undercoatings? POR-15, zero rust, 3M undercoating, primer - what's good to use?
7)subframe connectors - weld in , bolt in, or build my own?
8)suggestions for front disc replacement?
Thanks for all the help! Many more questions to follow

[This message has been edited by speedeamon (edited February 08, 2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 05:38 AM
Inactive User

I have been collecting pieces to get mine back on the road also, so I have been doing some checking also.
1. Have been looking at the polygraphite bushing to help reduce squeaking, but have also read that their parts are made in Tawain, good price though.
2. Was going to wait on the rear swaybar to see how it handles without it. Might add it later if car leans too much and more funds come available. My stock track pack springs are real stiff so that should help reduce sway.
3. For now was just going to use some gas Monroes.
4.Is the .96 considered the HD 440hp and Hemi bar?
5.Aluminum radiator for weight savings, also aluminum pump housing and pump to lose more.
6.por-15
7. I'd go bolt in to not permanently alter a hard to find car.
8. Discs would be great, though for now I'm going to try some sort of carbon mettalic brake shoes to see how they do until more funds are freed up.
What are you going to use for heads? I'm waiting to hear more about the edelbrock aluminum. Also post where you found good prices on your parts. What oil pan are you planning on running, I don't want a pan that hangs below the crossmember. Headers brand?

[This message has been edited by carson (edited February 09, 2001).]
Old 02-20-2001, 07:35 PM

Hey speedeamon, my dad has a 68 charger r/t so i'll try to help you.I don't know about the PST front end kit, i rebuilt my front end on my 70 challenger with standard replacement parts from napa and its pretty tight and responsive for rubber bushings and no front sway bar. You should just rebuild the stock Hemi suspension your charger came with if i remember correctly. Hemi suspension has .92 torsion bars , .96 are the hemi/6-pack upgrade. The KYB shocks are pretty good, my mom had them on her 79 firebird(shes a gm lady) an it was smooth but but stiff when they needed to be.You dont really need a rear sway bar unless you really plan on throwing the thing around.Like i said , just keep the hemi suspension and go with the KYB shocks, the hemi suspension handles good but still provides ok weight transfer for drag racing. The stock radiator should be okay, even in texas, my dad never had overheating problems,his had a/c and was a 440. About the undercoating , go with the POR-15 , this stuff really is immune to everything. Im going to paint the whole underside of my challenger with gloss black por-15 since im going to paint the car glossblack, it will look correct underneath , but last forever. About the frame connectors, I figured out how much it would cost to build my own,$75; I found i could just buy some for $79 and they would probably be better anyway. My dad did a front disc upgrade on his using factory parts but i dont know what he used and how he made it work,etc.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:48 PM

Now, Carson
Poly bushings squeek more than rubber, but most companies like energy and prothane provide a special grease with their bushings that you rub on the bushing sto make them not squeek.
Your right about the sway bar, just wait and see if you really want/need it, personally, i dont think they are neccesary, especially if you have the XHD leafs or the s.s. springs. The .96 torsion bar is the upgrade for the hemi/6-pack suspension, .92 is stock hemi. Go with the por-15, its more expensive but it will last longer than you if you prep the part right and let it dry properly.Any gas shocks will be a worthy upgrade from stock shocks. If you have a big-block, try the hemi pan. Year One is remaking these, they have more capacity than stock but dont hang down like a 7-quart miloden pan and thigns like that. I think the are deep as a stock big-block pan if i remember correctly. About the heads and headers, I'm still trying to figure out what to use myself for my 70 383 challenger. I was thinking about the stage v's but i dont think i could get them down to the cc i need, 75cc is what i need. Maybe the new edelbrocks if the flow good and can get down to 75cc. I was thinking about hedman ceramic coated headers since everybody says you have to bang on the Hooker headers to get them to work right.
Well hope this helps .
Old 02-20-2001, 11:54 PM
Banned

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions Guys! I'll keep ya'll updated how she comes along