Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-08-2002, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

Default no clutch shifiting....

anyone ever hear of shifting without the clutch? like on a daily driver....and what is the proper way to do it if there is one? is there a light i can get that tells me when its ok and i dont hear gears grinding?
Old 01-08-2002, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Never heard of a light but.......

I have been able to do it on every stick can I drove. A old 72 Dodge D200 318 and granny gear, a GLH Omni Turbo, Our olr ACR Neon, my friends 95 Acura GSR (His clutch went and ask me to drive it since he didn't have the feel for it yet) Basically I go by rpm and speed. When you go to up shift let up on the gas while pulling the it out of gear, but before the rpms drop to much apply a little force against the next gear. Not enough to cause a grinding. When the rpms drop to what it would be if it was actually in gear, it should go in. I can downshift also the same way except, like when going from 3 to 2, ease up pull it out of 3 apply force to 2 and blip the throttle to approx thr rpm it would be at in 2nd at that speed. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Bob
Old 01-08-2002, 05:28 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

When I take her out of gear, going up or down, the shifter will slip into the next gear smoothly without hitting the gas. If I miss the window that it should slide in at, A slight tap of the pedal will find the right RPM.
All this is done with light pressure. Don't force it in. Theres a grove the tranny will work in. When you understand how it works, it's easy. Not so easy to explain.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

i do it by accelerating,when I want to shift I let up on the gas,pull it out of gear,and while gentley pulling it into the next gear I tap the throttle...it should slip in...
Old 01-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Moderate anarchist

That's pretty much how it's done, but don't try it on a non-synchro trans or you'll grind 'em.

Steve
Old 01-08-2002, 02:59 PM

Non-clutching a modern tranny is sort of like double-clutching a non-synchro tranny. You have to ensure that the gears that are going to be meshed are moving at the same speed, otherwise they'll grind. When you double clutch a non-syncro, you are using the engine RPM to match gear speeds, which is why you need to have the engine at the right RPM when you let the clutch out the first time. With a syncromesh tranny, you are doing the exact same thing except that the syncros enable you do do it without using the clutch. You usually have to let off the gas for an instant to unload the drivetrain so that you can disengage from the gear that you're currently in, and then move your shift lever to the next higher gear. If you're downshifting, you have to actually increase engine RPM to unload the tranny (because you were decelerating instead of accelerating), and then shift. You still have to match engine RPM to whatever it will be in the gear you are shifting into. Hopefully this makes sense...
Old 01-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

yeah i think ive got it ive been trying it for a while now its just that i think my tranny is non synchro. what is double clutching by the way?all of your answers have been really informative thanks
Old 01-09-2002, 01:55 PM

If your tranny was made any time after about 1960 it will almost certainly be syncromesh unless it's in a heavy duty truck, and the've been syncro for a long time too. Syncros can wear out though. Double clutching goes like this: Put in clutch. Take tranny out of gear and into neutral. Let out clutch. Match engine RPM to what it will be in your next gear. Return engine to idle (optional). Put in clutch. Shift to next gear. Let out clutch. If a transmission does not have syncros, the gears can only match speeds if the tranny is in neutral with the clutch out. With syncros the gears will match speeds with the clutch in, as well; meaning you don't have to let the clutch out in neutral if you have a syncromesh. This makes shifting much simpler and faster. Actually now that I think about it, a person could no-clutch a non-syncro tranny, since it ONLY matches speeds with the clutch OUT in neutral. So with a non-syncro you either have to no-clutch or double clutch, but you can't single clutch (normal shifting) very well. Anybody tried this? My dad mentioned that he and his brother used to no-clutch the old '27 Chev all the time...
Old 01-09-2002, 11:45 PM

Check out an old Volkswagon speedometer, there are marks on it, these marks are when to shift without a clutch. let up on the gas, pull or push into the next gear gently, and wait until the RPM's "let you in". They were on my 68 Honda AN600 (car) also. Some say these are the shift points for optimum driveability, others say what I say. SAme on a Motorcycle, let off the gas, mash it into the next gear, gas it. same principle.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:08 PM

Yup, do that on my bike on occasion... it came in handy once when my clutch lever snapped off unxpectedly! (I didn't down the bike, the lever just snapped in my hand when I was shifting)