Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2001, 03:23 AM
Inactive User

Question

I wold like to build a low budget 400 for my jeep. It will have the heads milled and home ported with the MP templates, and get a performer rpm intake for it. Basically I blew the wad on dana 60s front and rear and need to put something respectable togther tell I can stroke it out, but it will also be a little bit of a comparison because I have built some amc 401s in the past. The 400 is from a 78' cordba and rus GREAT with 75,000 miles. The plan is to leave the short block alone until more funds are avalibale. I have been looking at the MP .474 cam and was wondering if any one has run one, I am looking for a broad power band and the ability to run an auto trans with little or no stall in it. I will buy all the parts to make it work well(valve springs,ect) If anyone has any advice or suggestions i would love to hear it.

Thanks
Clark Cole
Old 02-10-2001, 05:23 AM
Inactive User

Well Clark it sounds like an unusual marriage,for starters if I wanted 400 mopar cubes id run a stroked 360,using mps new 4"stroke crank,mainly because of the weight savings but also because it fits better,but you already have the 400 BB so...I'd run something a little smaller for a cam,being a 4wd youll want plenty of tork,the 474 will need a much higher than stock compression ratio to make alot of bottom end,rock crawling is usually done at less than 2500 rpms so if you want an MP cam Id run the .430/260 or if your going to raise the comp .5 to 1.0 id run the .455/272,this will ensure a mountain of tork at low speeds.Milling .030 raises your comp approx .5,be sure to stay with the steel shim head gaskets as the thicker Fel pros will lower your already low comp .5,be sure to use a quality timing set or be sure to degree the cam,Sanderson makes some shorty center dump headers for BB's,thats about it except dont forget your adding some serious ballast to the front of that CJ so youll need to add some spring most likely,have fun....PRO...

[This message has been edited by PRO (edited February 09, 2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 08:07 AM
Inactive User

I couldn't agree more with Pro's recommendations. If you want more grunt later, turn your 400 into a 451 stroker...djs
Old 02-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

I would also run the smaller cam CJ, but I would have it ground on a 108 lobe separation angle, you'll make considerably more torque at the lower rpm ranges. Elgin makes custom grinds for about $125.00!