Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:14 PM

Smile email Mopar Action on GER converters!!!

I just got my April 2002 issue of Mopar Action, and in Cliff Gromers' editorial, he's talking about getting tech articles and stories correct. At the top of the third column, he wrote:

"Honesty costs us too - just ask former advertisers who've had their junk products slammed."

Page 39 is a FULL PAGE multicolor GER ad!!!

Can anyone think of a company worse then GER? They do not deserve to be allowed to advertise in Mopar Action. I wrote C.G. an email asking him about this, and to refuse GER's dollars - throw them out of the magazine. Here's his email address so you can email him on this too:

cgromer@hotmail.com

We'll get GER one way or another for all the Mopar people they ripped off...
Old 01-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

I frankly don't know how they stay in buisness. If there is one constant I hear from various Mopar boards on the internet, it is how bad GER is. I refuse to believe that the editors at Mopar Muscle and Action don't know about this problem. I think the advertising money is doing all the talking here.
Tom
Old 01-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Inactive User

I guess I'd rather have a GER ad in the mag and have it not go out of business than watch the ad go away and the magazine fold. As for why GER is still in business even though every mopar guy hates them(directly or indirectly), my best bet is that it is a front for laundering drug money.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Inactive User

I'd like to put my 2 cents in but I know 'Drag Racing' magazine went under recently for not having enough people advertizing in it. Let's hear some more opinions, I'll do it if the majority thinks we should.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Inactive User

If the two Mopar magazines want to have GER's ad money,that is their buisiness.There are other companies that I wouldn't buy from either,but that doesn't stop me from reading the magazine they advertise in.It's all about buisiness.Ehrenberg did a article on GER a few years ago,had nothing bad about them in it.I personally cannot honestly say that GER has bad products as I have never used them.I can only go on what is posted on these forums.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

guys, ya gotta remember, no matter what, NO MATTER WHAT, its all about money. i learned as a radio broadcaster, no matter how much you hated the product, when you advertised it on the radio, you talked like it was the best product in the world. NO IF'S ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT!!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down It is dishonest in my opinion

I don't think if you were writing an article on Torque Converters and you wanted a demo converter from a company they would give you one of their own LEMONS. They would give you a known good converter even if they had to buy it themselves! When the magazine guys do a write up they are getting good quality stuff usually but it probably isn't what we would get if we got GER on the phone and ordered a converter.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:31 PM

I say renew their multi year contract! Keeps the mag in business, and you can use the GER ads for your Parakeet cage liner, or put it under your car to catch that transmission front seal leak the off center GER hub is causing!
Old 01-10-2002, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

I HAVE POSTED ON GER BEFORE,I HAD A MID 12 SECOND STREET GREMLIN ,WITH 727,I PUT A VALVE BODY FROM GER IN IT,IT WOULD LOCK UP THE TRANS.WHEN IT SHIFTED TO SECOND.COULDNT GET ANY SATISFACTION FROM GER,TOOK IT
OUT AND PITCHED IT.
IF GER WANTS TO PAY THE MONEY FOR THE ADVERTISING, IT WILL KEEP THE MAGS.AFLOAT. AS LONG AS EVERYONE TRIES TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES ON THE PRODUCTS BEING SOLD,AND GETTING FEEDBACK FROM ALL AVAILABLE SOURCES,MAYBE WE WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH...(LET THE BUYER BEWARE)
Old 01-10-2002, 04:23 AM

And while all this is going on, new Mopar people will be picking up Mopar Action for the first time, seeing the big GER ad, sending their money in, and be getting ripped off. How much can a full page ad possibly cost anyway? $1000-$2000 per issue? If that's all that's keeping the magazine going, they've got problems.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

so basically what yall are saying is....ger makes great converters?
lol im jk
Old 01-10-2002, 05:58 PM
Inactive User

GER does not make anything good.It is not a perfect world,all we can do is try to make others aware of companies like this.
Whether the mag. accepts ads from them is something the mag. will have to deal with ,right or wrong. I did not like getting ripped off either.
This happened to me in the early 90s,i cant believe they are still in business.The h.p transmission business must be a sideline.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

I HEAR YOU BRUTHA TIM!! I got stung by GER very early in my hot rodding career. I did end up getting my money back after 6 mos of headaches from the lies that they told me. "Yes we know how to make the correct convertor", "We shipped it out yesterday", "We will put a call tag on the incorrect part, and we'll ship the new one out". I know I spent probably 6 to 7 hours total on the phone, most of it on hold. Finally got the Consumer Fraud Division of North Dakota involved and within a week I got a check from GER. No apology, no explanation, and I wasn't reimbursed for the daytime phone bills. I used to write them a letter every so often reminding them of how I hadn't forgotten how they treated me. This was all over a convertor that wouldn't even fit in the car correctly. After coming on-line a few years back I e-mailed them. They finally replied once stating how they made the best race converters and that I was wasting my time on my useless crusade. If I have saved one person (and I know it's WAY more than that!) from purchasing from them, I've done my duty. Gyps Every Racer, anyone got anymore acronyms? OH, and by the way, www.gerperformance.com is where you can send them a kind word.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

As 6pakman stated "it's all about money". Believe it. Every day you have the opportunity to vote companies in or out of business. You do it with your dollars. You either spend at the ABC company or the XYZ company, the choice is yours. The strongest statement you ever make to a profitable company is by buying or not buying their products or services. So, if you don't like a product that's advertised in the ABC magazine, email or phone them, and tell them you will not by their mag again until they no longer advertise said product. Now here's the secret to making it work. DON'T BUY IT AGAIN TILL THE AD YOU DON'T LIKE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said........djs
Old 01-11-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for that GER email address J-body, I'll have to give 'ol George the same line he gave me right before he hung up on me! $576 race converter that wouldn't fit in the car and had 5/16 bolt holes instead of the 3/8 I ordered, stalled at 1200 once it was finally in the car, turned the tranny fluid black immediately and then locked up the first time I put the hammer down! Crap went through my tranny also. George told me that 'theres no law saying that a performance part has to make your car run better'. Then he told me to ---k off and hung up on me. I almost took a weeks vacation to go pay him a visit.
I went with an 8 inch ATI, drive it on the street and fluid always looks new and it performs flawlessly.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

I must be the luckyest man in the world 9" ger converter best pass 10.76 at 122 mph. How fast would the car go with a better converter? www.pixhost.com/pixc/car4230/allen2.jpg
Old 01-15-2002, 03:04 AM

Smile

71 Scamp:

Tell us all about what happened when you showed up at his place, and who said what and so forth. I think it'll be a good story!
Old 02-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

Not to beat a dead horse.....
I had a ger converter trash itself on my Dodge, 3k stall, rarely used the car, told me that it was guarenteed for life, was also told they'd fix it, for $150!
How many more times can us as consumers, get ripped off?

I smell class action here...........not that I'm litigious or anything.....
Old 02-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

atoetly, you'd probably go 10.40's.

Tim K, I said I almost took vacation to pay him a visit, never really went. A guy with a big block tubbed GTO down the road from me put a GER in his car and can't figure out why his car feels so much slower now.??
Old 02-23-2002, 02:06 AM
Inactive User

Does their web site really say "9.9% financing on purchases over 250.00" Makes me ill that there suckering people with junk parts and putting them in debt. I purchased a ger 10 inch converter for my very first mopar. I was taken by the add, and figured if it was in a magazine, it must be good. I put it in my 340 challenger, shifted into drive and the whole thing took a dump. If anyone is looking for a slightly used GER converter... gimmie a call HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA LOL......A
Old 02-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Banned

This subject has been beaten to death on this site for the past 4 years or so that I know of.

All of us here know about the obvious poor quality and non-existant customer service that exists within the confines of the GER plant.

As a large group we can make our point ring loud and clear to the Mopar publications that we are displeased with our experiences with this company.

I have decided to make my voice and opinion clear to Mr. Gromer via email and I have included a copy for your reading pleasure.

I too have had a wonderful experience with a GER convertor....3rd pass it blew it's guts out in the burnout box. I now run a Dynamic, in my opinion there is nothing better, and I'm entitled to my opinion.

Copy ....

"Dear Mr. Gromer

I find it insulting to my intelligence that you still run GER ads in your magazine.

Is your credibility worth their money?

I didn't realize your reputation could be bought for so little.

Beginners and Mopar Professionals alike rely heavily on the articles, ads and information they read and see in your magazine, why would you do this to your loyal followers and peers.

I find you "guilty by association"; a sentencing hearing will be held on my next subscription renewal date.

Regards
Don Gould"
Old 02-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Banned

Default For what it's worth

I heard from a reliable source that GER was in some financial difficulty...possible the only good thing that came out of 911
Old 02-23-2002, 12:03 PM

I just send gromer another email. It read like this:

Well, I still see GER ads running in your magazine. Surely by now you know of the problems with their products and service. It's time to stop letting them advertise in your magazine. If you're concerned about GER ad revenue keeping the magazine going, I have a solution to the problem. I'll end my subscription, and only read through the magazine at the news stand. I'll get the information I want, and you won't get my money. The magazine will go out of business and take the GER ads with it. End of problem. It's time for you to write a new editorial on this issue.

Come on, everyone, let's get together and flood his inbox with emails like this!

cgromer@hotmail.com
Old 02-23-2002, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

I just sent my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:08 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Class Action - GER

Maybe you should enlist the Ford and GM folks on that class action suit. If GER is as lousy as the posts here say they are, they have probably stung the Ford/GM boys as well.

I'm sure you read about Joe 1320 on the Grand National board who went after an internet parts scammer and how his bad rep was instantly spread to other forum boards for just about every possible make and model. Bad companies (or individuals) don't stay in business long when the word gets out on them. Also remember that credit card sales charges can be disputed within a certain time period of purchase if the goods ordered aren't up to snuff. Just my 2 cents. - RR
Old 02-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Yes the ger bashing is old....

....but for anyone just joining this forum or those new to racing or performance I'm glad that they can come here and see how many people have had a bad experience with their poor quality convertors. I find a feeling of satisfaction when someone posts how they were going to buy a GER, but changed their mind after visiting here.