Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Inactive User

Question 99 Wrangler Amp Options

I am installing a new headunit and an amp in my 99 Jeep Wrangler. These are my thoughts on doing it could you please let me know what you think:

1. Buy a Tuffy Underseat Security Drawer under the rear seat, facing forward.

2. Install the AMP and possibly a CD changer in this drawer by mounting to the top of the inside of the drawer.

3. Running the wires from the cd changer to the headunit (AUX IN), from the headunit to the amp, and from the amp to the speakers (in dash and sound bar).

Here are my concerns:

1. Heat generated by the AMP (any suggestions on amps with fans brands where to buy, prices).

2. Drilling a hole in the Tuffy to run the wires, how easy or hard would this be? good/bad idea.

3. Does this overall sound like a good/fesible idea?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or if you could help point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2002, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

Hi J, You've got the right idea for your amp install! I'm not farmiliar with the drawer your thinking of so I dont know how difficult it would be to drill through it, if you can drill through you just have to make sure the wiring is long enough for the drawer to open, and that it doesn't rub against any sharp edges. If your amp is only powering the speakers in the jeep and your not adding a subwoofer the amp won't get extremely hot, however if the air can't circulate it will still get hot enough to shut the amp down. You could buy fans and drill more holes in the drawer to circulate the air, or you could eliminate the drawer and just install the amp on the floor under the back seat. Almost all of the amps I've installed in jeeps are there, and I haven't seen one overheat yet unless it was running several subwoofers. I know this may not be as secure as you'd like, so if you can get air into the drawer go for it. One thing to remember is not to mount an amp upside down, this causes heat to rise back up onto the amp instead of away from it, then the amp won't last as long. You also seem to have the wiring down too, you can save some time by running the speaker wires from the amp to the factory wires behind the radio, unless your going all out with your system this will work fine and save you alot of time. Also make sure you run the power wire for the amp directly to the battery. You can run it to the drivers side firewall and through the rubber grommet into the engine compartment. You need to have a fuse or circuit breaker close to the battery, to prevent a fire should the wire short out. You should be able to buy an amp installation kit with the wires and fuses you'll need in one package. As far as the equiptment goes buy what you like, you shouldn't need an amp with a fan for what your doing, but you will need extra fans even if the amp has one if you put it in a drawer. If you have any questions E- mail me: brbhall@netzero.net Good Luck!