Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Hood Clearance on a A Body/B Motor

I am in the process of rebuilding my 73 Dart Sport and plan a 451/400 motor for motivation. I plan on using Schumaker mounts and am wondering if there is enough hood clearance for a RPM or M1 single plane with a Holley on top and maybe a drop base air filter and still use a flat hood. I have a few spare hoods and the 73/74 Dart Scoop that would give another 2" clearance maybe if I cut out the hole under the scoop. Still in the planning stages for the motor setup, She needs paint and a interior also. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

You had better plan on a scoop or something similar. We've ran BB Dusters in oval track cars for years. With a stock intake and a Ford 2bbl with an adapter about 1/2" thick, a drop base air cleaner with a 2" element the top of the air cleaner sits against the bottom of the hood. The hood has been gutted, it's just flat metal. With a taller manifold, taller carb, and taller filter setup you will probably be looking at 3-4" above the hood. This is with RB's, the B will be approx 1 to 1-1/2 lower.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

It will be very tight but in our '73 Valiant that would definitely have worked with a drop base filter. I used a 440 with the M1 single plane and MP non drop base air filter and it fit when some bracing was removed above the filter. It had a Holley Pro Jection that is slightly lower than a carb, but I believe a 400 block with a carb and drop base filter is not higher than that.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I would do some checking on those schumaker mounts. I purchased some for an f-body project. I was told that the mounts put the motor in the original position. Bullshit. I installed as per his instructions. Even checked my work many times. The motor was at least an inch higher than my factory f-body smallblock. Had to relocate z-bar mount, dent floor for blowshield and tweak steering arms to clear headers. You know what his explanation was, "Oh, our mounts were designed for use with manifolds. Not my problem." Who in there right mind cuts up an f-body with $150 mounts to put exhaust manifolds on? Those p.o.s. mounts are collecting dust on the shelf. I switched to v-8 k-frame and everything fits like a glove. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:34 AM
Inactive User

Had a 440 engine in a 73 Duster, used conversion K-member and regular big block motor mounts. The under hood bracing was dented to clear dual snorkle air cleaner on right side. Had a Performer intake with T.Q. carb. The low block should provide about 3\4" more clearance.

A cost effective way to install the big block is to remove the entire spool mount from the K-member. Attach the spools to the 400 engine and mounts ensuring every thing is torqued to specifications. With the engine and trans connected and trans mount connected, tack weld the spools in position, disconnect the engine from the spools and complete the welding job.

Another method is remove the K-member from the car. Cut the spool mounts from the K-member and reweld them 1" forward on the passenger side and 3\4" forward on the drivers side.

I have used both methods successfully, removing the K-member provides some advantages because the frame can have gussets installed, and a skid plate attached.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:05 AM
Inactive User

...and there are pretty good lower intakes too, like the Holley Street Dominator. The M1 low deck intake isn't any better than that. The low deck single planes seem to suffer from too tight inner intake ports that flow way less than in the same RB intake.