Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Goose - About your Starter problems

Well, my 69 Barracuda 340 was just having the same problem. It was kind of a just all of a sudden thing.

First time, we were just kind of messing around with the wires and it fixed itself. Then about a week later, it happened again. I replaced the Starter relay and that didn't do anything.

So I got around to e-mailing a few of my friends and one of them said his friend had some trouble in his Challenger about this. He told me to make sure all the wires were out of the way of the starter relay. So I moved some of the wires that were kind of touching the top of the starter relay box and moved them so nothing was touching it or in the way. Turns out it worked.

Doesn't seem like something that easy could be the problem but I would check it out if I was you, make sure no wires or cables are near the starter relay. Hope it works for you (that is if you haven't already fixed it!)

Thanks to 70Challenger R/T S.E. 383 for helping me out.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:18 PM

A few months back I took both starters to a local starter shop; after the guy took them apart he told me immediately that the problem was a bad positive battery cable. The solenoid on each of the starters had started to weld itself together, because the high resistance in the battery cable meant that a lot of extra current had to go through the solenoid to crank the engine. I replaced the battery cable and put a new solenoid on the starter; the car now cranks a hell of a lot faster than it ever had before with either starter. Also the problem has never come back.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

Cool. I was just searching up old threads when I first got the problem, and saw your posts. Didn't know if you fixed it or not so I just posted this real quick.