Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2001, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

Well, a few days ago, my car tried to kill me, and now, as soon as I get it looking nice again, it craps out. The first incident involved the fast idle cam getting stuck between the throttle linkage and the carburetor body, thus I couldn't slow down...., not fun on your way back to work from your lunch break (a problem that I have since fixed). And today I was driving down the interstate and it just got this loud rattling in the engine bay and I caught a puff of smoking coming through the passenger compartment (the hole in the firewall for the airconditioner is not plugged by anything right now), and then it just stopped. Lots of thick, yellowish white smoke coming from the crankcase breather. It cranked, but it's a major strain on the battery. Anybody got any ideas as to what this could be?
225 /6, '68 Dart, stock....daily driver

I guess I just have bad luck....
Oh well, the only thing it does is put me out of transportation for a while and push back a few of my plans, but really nothing major... At least I get to take something apart
Old 02-10-2001, 07:59 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like coolant in the crankcase. Maybe a blown head gasket. Hard to diagnose over the internet without more details. Hope it's not too expensive. First thing to check is fluid levels. If coolant is low and oil is over full and pukey in color, you've got the dreaded blown head gasket blues. Or worse. But let's wait till you tear it down. djs P.S. I just re-read this; man it's depressing even for me, and it's not even my car!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2001, 08:34 AM
Inactive User

Like DJS said, youv'e probably got a bad head gasket. Take the plugs out and have someone crank the engine while you look for water coming out of plug holes. If you don't see any, it's now time to play find the low psi cylinder with your compression tester. This will help you find out which head to pull. It's now time to pray that it is only a head gasket. Good Luck, been in your shoes, your not alone!
Old 02-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Big Tuna

Unhappy

From your description, it could also be a spun rod bearing.
Old 02-12-2001, 02:12 AM
Inactive User

Springfeet, did you find the problem yet? djs
Old 02-19-2001, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

I haven't quite been able to get into the engine to see what's wrong. We've had a lot going on lately with family coming in town and things of that sort, so it's just been sitting for a few days. Right now we have to find a hoist so we can lift the engine a few inches and take the oilpan off. Hopefully after that we'll be able to tell what's actually wrong. From what we've seen so far from the top of the engine, it looks like the pickup in the oilpan got clogged with sludge so nothing was getting any oil. Too bad the oil pressure gauge doesn't work, then I could have seen what was going on. We're probably gonna end up just giving the engine a good cleaning and putting it back together and hoping for the best. It doesn't look like a blown head gasket, and we haven't that we have lost any coolant, so the oil sludge seems to be our best bet right now, but who knows until we actually look at the bottom end. Hopefully I'll know in a day or two when we get a hoist from one of my friends.