Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Fuel Cooler Can

I've seen these fuel cooling cans on a few cars and in Jegs and Summit. Do these things actually give you any HP and if they do, do they cause the car to run off-kilter when there is not a cooling agent in the can? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Those cans can be used on the street although there main idea was for the track. I don't know what "off-kilter" is but i think I got the idea. You tell me. Think about it. Cars jetted for cold fuel. The cold fuel molocules (sp) are tightly packed. When there hot, they expand/move father away from each other. Now there not so tightly packed.
Less fuel in the carb. Now you run lean. Same thing with air. Thats why you see racer's under the hoods messing with the jetting all the time through out the year. Track conditions change. That means engine conditions change.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

Off-kilter isn't anything technical, and you got the idea about right. Its just my chevy friend insisted that a fuel cooler wouldn't have to be stocked with a cooling agent all the time and "it will just run alot better with dry ice, ok with ice, and normal with nothing in the can" But it seemed to me stuff would get screwed up. Thanks for seconding my opinion.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Inactive User

What I was thinking about on mine was:
small coffee can with tubing coiled inside
Stainless line going to electric water pump on side
extra cooler in front of radiator
I could just use water on normal days and fill with ice on track days. Seemed less expensive than a refill with certain types of coolers and easily made at home as a separate system in front of the rad support. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Inactive User

I like my by-pass fuel regulator setup. The fuel is alaways cool (but not ice cold) pumping 250 GPH through #8AN lines with a 20-gallon fuel cell
Old 01-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

Wowsa, that's a lot of gas. I doubt my 383 needs 250gph. I was thinking of getting one of those mini-fuel radiators to cool the fuel down to avoid having to fill a can up, that way the fuel is closer to the same temp all the time too. Anyone tried one of these gadgets?
Old 01-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

JJ @ AUSYDAD:

You don't have to keep ice or other cooling agent in the cool can for normal street use.The reason that you don't have to is you don't rejet your carb with a cool can. Basically the ice or dry ice and alcohol allows your car to be more consistant as the rounds get closer together, by maintaing a more dense and constant fuel temperature.

AUSYDAD:

The coffee can works well, but it tends to rust out every year or so. I made mine with 4in pvc pipe and two caps. I wound the coil and mounted it so the fuel going to the carb. comes out near the bottom of the canister, instead of the top as the commercial ones are made. That way you use less ice. The pvc pipe is quite a good insulator by itself. I also used a metal valve stem with no core on the botton for a drain. I have a hose on the valve that when i need to drain the water I drop it straight down. when it is done draining i tuck the hose under the top of the mounting bracket.No need for a shut off valve that way.

Hope this helps and makes some sense.

Dennis Jokela
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Good tips, Dennis! I'll keep those in mind. I wanted the cooler even on the street as I'm planning a tunnel rammed 318. Thought keeping water cooler with the pump and extra cooler in the front of the radiator may help with that.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

We used to run the Morso cool can. It wasnt worth the hassle. maybe a .05-.10 at night. But the ice did not last long at all.

The best one I have ever seen made was out of an old battery. At a quick glance you could never see it. Everything was done real nice and clean.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

yes we run one and they work.How much et is it worth?Depends on the day ,some days more than others.We also run the can dry without any noted loss of street power.