Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Buying a convertible, tips

Going to look at a B-body convertible for sale this week. What should I look for?
Old 01-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

Besides looking for the usual items such as leaks, smoking , rear end noise , etc., etc., etc. I would look really closely at the undercarriage and floorpan of said vehicle. Convertables require supports like a second firwall in the rear to take the weight of the top frame and keep the car from sagging over the years. I would look for repaired panels, filler, uneven tolerances along the door jamb, and if the door falls when opened. While it's nice having a frresh top on the car, to me it's more important to have a solid frame for it. not bent or too stiff. no leaks in the system if it has one. Make sure it operates smoothly even if there's only a couple of rag strips left for cloth. Other than that , it's all a matter of your tastes and budget. Anything can be fixed, it's just whether or not it's worth it. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2002, 02:28 PM

Look under the car at the frame rails and confirm that they aren't rusted out. Also peel back the trunk mat and confirm that there is no rust in the trunk.

Check the seals and functionality of the top. Also check for rust in the boot area.

Other than the normal stuff, that's about all I can think of.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Make sure it is complete! There are not many reproduction convertible parts and any of the "special" convertible peices are expensive to buy.

Make sure top operates, make sure it has the correct raised rear chrome trim for the cover to snap into. The A-pillar trim is special too.
Doors should have the wedge stabilizers between the door and body.

I just watched a set of the rear plastic trim panels sell for over $400 on E-Bay.

One thing you may not think of either is seat belts, these things are pricy too if they are missing.
If it has Power windows, make sure they work! Way too many special parts for them.

Check the convertible top latches too. I just noticed someone is reproducing these, but they are not cheap.

The rest would be like checking out a sedan. Look for rust. Since it's a convertible double check the floorboards. It's fairly common for the trunks of all these B-Body cars to rust, so don't be supprised if it is. Another bad rust spots are the lower rear quarter panels.
Check all the switches/lights/gauges/radio on the dash.

What year and model? Mine is a 1969 Coronet R/T
Old 01-14-2002, 03:59 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the help fellas. Jim, what do you mean by wedge stabilizers between the doors and the body? The car is a 69 Coronet 500.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

In the side of the door, there is a brass wedge thing, andon the dor jamb there is a plastic wedge if I rember correctly. I'm at work and the car is at home, so I can't verify the exact details.

What condition and price for the car?
I made reasonable offers on three cars. The price was usually around $7,000 for a fairly solid car, but one that still needed work. I used the Old Cars price guide as a reference on the three different 1969 Coronet 500 Convertibles and each of the owners would not sell for that price.
As far as I know two still have not sold, and the third belonged to a used car dealership and was sold at auction for less than I offered them.

I paid $20,000 for the R/T. I got about what I paid for depending on how you look at pricing the car. The car is a pretty rare 440 4-speed dana60 car with only 99 made, and it has power windows, ralley dash, console and several other options. The bad part is the engine was replaced (not numbers matching), but it has a 1970 440 HP engine. The other semi-bad part is the car was "restored" using the term loosely, back in the late 1970's or early 1980, and the quality of the work is not great, but the car is still presentable and useable "as-is".
One of the big selling points for me personally was the color combination. The car is an original B5 Blue, White top/interior/stripe car. I really like this color combination and plan to actually drive the car, not make it a trailer queen.
In a few years when I pay off the loan I needed to buy the car, I will probbably dissasemble the car and do a proper restoration on the body and interior. If I ever find the original engine I may do a "correct" restoration of the drivetrain, but being a nun-numbers matching car I plan to add a few performance parts to the engine.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Take the front tire off if possible. Look at the frame their. Seen alot of convertables (mostly A bodies) That are cracked right their behind the tire. I know for our convertable dart parts are not east to find and when are availbale are expensive compared to parts for the hardtop.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Also if possible set the car up on jack stands all around. Open the door and see if it closes the same as it sat on the ground.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

The best tip that I can give you is "Don't spit into the wind".
- Trust me on this one.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:16 AM
Inactive User

Have not seen the car yet, but I hear it will need a top. How much am I looking a for a new one installed?
Old 01-15-2002, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

Actually they reproduce the top material and rear windows in both plastic and glass back windoes and the cost of the tops are not too bad, I think maybe around $300? But I don't know how much labor is involved in installing the top. There was an article in one of the Mopar magazines and it looked like a lot of work to replace the top, and this is if all the frame work is good.
I have not seen any replacement framework for these cars, but I haven't looked very hard either since mine is OK. If there is a problem with the top framework it could end up being a big problem!
Old 01-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Inactive User

Do any of yall know of a company that makes a convertible top and back glass for a 69 Coronet. Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:15 PM

The top will cost about $550 parts and labor (I priced it out, this past summer).

You might want to try http://www.jacksautoparts.com or http://www.jimsautoparts.com

I have heard that Jacks is a better store with better customer support.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:16 PM

On a side note, I hope this car isn't the Blue '69 Coronet 500 convertible that's in MD. If that thing is up for sale, I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 for it.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Inactive User

ehostler did you get a quote on installation from a company in VA if so which company did you talk to. If in VA where is it located. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:50 PM

It was a local shop, here in Manassas. They had given me a price for them do get the top and install it. I forget their name and phone number, however, I'm sure that I can get that info again from the body shop that is going to be doing alot of work on my '69 Coronet 500 Convertible.

I'm sure that Richmond has a couple of real good upholstrey shops. If you can find a good body shop, in Richmond, that isn't affraid to work on old cars, you can ask them to recommend a good upholstrey shop. That's how I found the shop over here.