Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-15-2002, 03:20 AM
Inactive User

Default Lifter Bore Question

I recently purchased and took home a 10:1 shortblock assembly crate motor 360 non magnum. I was noticing some differences in the block. One thing that I noticed was that the lifter bores seem to be very tall compared to my other small blocks. I can put a lifter in the bore and have about an half and inch or so from the top of the lifter bore? The cast date on the block is 96. so i am figuring this is a magnum block that was drilled for oil passages to the rocker arms? Is this right or another screw up from ma mopar? thanks! Rumblefish did your lifter bores seem to be very long? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

More than likely its for a hydraulic-roller camshaft. They use taller lifter bores because the lifters are longer than a regular hydraulic lifter. Just my .02.

Robert
Old 01-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Inactive User

That's what I was thinking, but will this be any problem with not having roller cam? The cam I can see in there is deffinately not a roller cam! I think its a magnum block that has been drilled for pre magnum heads. We'll find out I guess. keep the ideas goin guys!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:03 PM

Thumbs up

If you are sure your short block is one of the MP non Magnums, you are fine then. They used Magnum current production blocks, modified them for non-magnum use. The lifter bore will be taller as they are originally cast for the hydralic roller. The MP non-Magnum short blocks have a standard hydralic cam in them while the MP Magnum short blocks have a hydralic roller cam in them. The MP non magnum short blocks come with a .508" hydralic "purple shaft" cam installed. The deck height is also slightly shorter at 9.56" instead of the normal 9.6", that is about a .040" shave to "square" up the deck. Actually these MP short blocks are a great value.