Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Why doesn't my CD player work (stock Infinity radio)

...it's a the stock CD/radio/tape deck on a 97' RAM SPORT. It does not accept the CD, kicks it back out and says ERROR on the display. Any ides what it could be?

thankyou
Old 01-20-2002, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Had the same problem on my '97. Had 5 new radio put in over the three years I had the truck. The dealer never did tell me why this kept happening, they just kept replacing it under warranty.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

ramneon, so the cd would work then all of a sudden stop? where are you with it now and should I just buy an after market cd player?

thankyou
Old 01-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Default Clean it!

When was the last time that you cleaned the CD player? You can go down to Best Buy and purchase a cleaner for the player. It is just a disc with brushes on it. It should cost you less then $20.00.

This will normally clean any dust or anything on the Laser and should fix the problem. If not, you may have a bad laser or need it adjusted, which means you would be better off buying a new radio.

Keep in mind that dust is the first enemy of a CD player. The dustier you environmet, the dustier your CD player gets. If it has not been cleaned since it was new, then you are doing good....

cyclops

Old 01-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

The cd would be playing fine and out of the blue would just stop. I couldn't get the cd out then. I would try cleaning it first like cyclops mentioned. If that doesn't work and if your truck is not under warranty I would go for an aftermarket radio unless you have about $600 to blow on a stock radio. I haven't had any trouble with the radio/cd/cassette in my 2001 Ram.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

If this does not help, and you don't want to purchase an aftermarket radio, I have the factory AM/FM/CD/Cass that came out of my 2000 R/T that I will sell you. May have 20 minutes of use on it. That is how long it takes to drive to my house from the dealer that I bought it from...HAHAHAHA
Make me an offer.....

cyclops
Old 01-21-2002, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

I tried the cd cleaner but still no luck. The problem with mine is that the radio will not accept the cd at all. It kicks it right back out with ERROR oin the display. Cyclops, my truck is 97 wonder if your radio will fit??
Old 01-22-2002, 02:08 AM
Inactive User

It is an exact fit. The only difference should be the year model. Dodge did not change the mounts in Dakotas from the first Dak until 2001.
2 mounting holes, 1 top right and one bottom left. The radio is held in with 2 3/8" screws. May look a little different and may have a different connector for the ground on the back put nothing a ring connector can't take care of. They both have 2 plugs in the back that I believe are 6 or 7 pins each. One grey and one black.

If your interested, send me an e-mail and let me know want you want to pay. I can ship it to you the next day.

It is taking up space in a closet.

cyclops
Old 01-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

thanks for the offer cyclops but a fellow mopar member sold me his radio off his Dakota. . whats your email, I could propobably use abackup.