Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Inactive User

Default Questions for the Carter/Edelbrock guys.

Hello guys, I've started messing with the long neglected 340 Duster thats been in the shop for the last few years. Replaced the sagged rear springs yesterday with a set from Enco (?). May need to check on the suppliers name if anyone's interested, but think that's right. They're very OK.

But on to the carb question. The old AVS is pretty crappy, so I pulled a homely looking carb out of the corner, and cleaned it up and bolted it on. Now the question is, what is it? Carb base number is 9637SA, this is preceded with a hard to read set of numbers, I believe to be 698, could be wrong about those last three though. It has a electric choke and uses torx screws.

It ran kinda rich, making good power, but I'm after drivability so I changed the 16-695 meter rods out for a set of 16-574's, helped a lot with the 120-401 jets, power did suffer some, may tune on it some more.

One last thing, how do you hook up the electric choke, I know, how dumb is this guy. But I've never ran a electric choke. My guess is that I need to find a source of switched 12v and install a fuse, and of course adjust so it pulls off OK. It's only powered up when the ignition is on, right?

Thanks Ronnie
Old 01-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

the carb is a Carter "Compitition Series" AFB.625 cfm with ford style linkage.I have no idea what the SA or other number is. To hook up the electric choke just hook a 12 volt key on power supply.I've never used a fuse there but it cant hurt.Then attach a ground wire to the negative.I usually just ground it at the carburator stud.-Tom.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Inactive User

T748, thanks for the quick comeback. I haven't messed with the Duster in quite a while. Nor have I kept up with the performance world, but I'm guessing the 625 AFB is a mid 80's carb? Anyone know if it's a keeper, or would I be better served to send the old AVS off for a expert rebuild.

I've always done all my own work, but I've messed with the AVS several times, and can't get it right. Course, that could be because I've long ago lost the stock jets, removed the choke, drilled holes in the secondarys throttle plates so it'd idle, and a few other things to help it spank the Chebys and Ferds way back, 20 or so years ago.

Anyone know of a good place to send it to be made new again.

Thanks, Ronnie
Old 01-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Default carb tech

get in touch with AED in Richmond Virginia, They are on the web at Advanced Engine Design. These guys can build any carb. They built me A Holley 750 Double pumper modified for aroun d 400 bucks. I run this thing on my 340 with a 292 509 cam and it idles great and pulls the wheels up on the 71 duster. So I love these guys. They are truly the best