Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-21-2002, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

Question Aftermarket shifter

Hi. I am looking to buy an aftermarket shifter to convert my column shift Dart to floor shift. I was looking at the Hurst Quarter Stick. My question is, what is everyone using in there cars? And is there anything i should look out for or any tips on installation? Thanks, --Neil
Old 01-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

Uh oh an unpopular thread....???????
Old 01-21-2002, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Not unpopular...

I am a die hard Hurst Shifter Man myself. The original owner of my Dart Sport had a new Hurst shifter installed shortly after it was new in '73, and immediately went to the race track. The car was raced sporatically throughout the 70's and early 80's and was parked in about 1984. I bought the car in 1989, and replaced the Hurst shifter after about 8 years of more sporatic racing - just because I wanted a "newer" looking shifter. I still never replaced the cable!!

I now run the "economy" Hurst Promatic II, which was essentially the same feel as the orginal - full rachet both ways (for that reverse manual valve body down the road), and no goofy buttons or levers to push. I believe I paid about $87 for the shifter, and has been 100% ever since. I feel strongly about Hurst Shifters since we struggled trying to get two new B&M's to work in my Dad's Duster. It would go through shifter cables at least twice in a season!! We replaced my Dad's shifter in 1998, and have not made an adjustment nor replaced the cable since then. Not to mention that when I drove my brother's car, I had to go to a 15 minute "shifter school" so I would not bump his B&M Pro Stick into nuetral going down the track. I think the B&M's are overly complicated, are expensive, and tend to go through shifter cables.

I drove a Chebby Carmelo with a Hurst Quarter stick in it, and I found that it shifted a little funny (I didn't feel comfortable banging it to the ratchet stop), and the park/reverse/nuetral lever was kind of goofy too.

Save some money and get a Promatic II.

The Dartman (Dusterman!!)
Old 01-21-2002, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

Here's a post from a long time ago when I was on the Hurst soapbox preaching:

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...Hurst+Promatic
Old 01-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

I'm getting ready to pull the console and shifter out of my Duster to switch to 4 spd. If you're interested, email me. I'm pretty inexpensive so otherMopars can enjoy and I don't have to store it.
Ausydad@yahoo.com
Old 01-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

I had a B&M Pro Ratchet. Absolutely loved that thing, so much that I kept it, and sold the car, and it's going in my next automatic. Nice firm feel, works more like an motorcycle shifter. smack it forward or back about 1/2 inch, it will change gears, and then pop right back to where it was. There is no possible way to miss a shift/skip a gear or anything like that. unless you have a limp wrist, and can't move the shifter that far..
Old 01-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Big Tuna

Biggrin

I have a Pro-matic III in my Duster and a Quarter Stick in my '66 Valiant. Both have worked very well. However, my favorite is still my old set of Lightning Rods. They are gonna go in my Duster shortly.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

I have a Hurst Vmatic 2 it has dual action operates as stock or ratchet great shifter . I'd recomend it for any street & strip car.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:04 AM

My vote for the pro matic 2, got one, love it. cant miss a shift. standard or reverse valve body, still works. One wish is for it to go down into first without slapping it twice. No big deal, but it might cost you a tenth in a suprise stoplight race. Of course a reverse would not have this problem.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

i put a turbo action scs shifter in my 69 barracuda. it was expensive but well worth it. havent had a problem with it its been in the car fot 3 years.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

I HAVE A HURST V MATIC AND LOVE IT. Depends if you want style or not. If not i would get a quarter stick.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I purchased a Hurst Promatic II. It arrived yesterday, and I like it. Will try and get it installed soon.