Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-01-1999, 05:35 AM
HIGHBALLIT

Well, I read the responses to my previous topic and now I have more questions. "D RAM" mentioned that he owned a vehicle similar to mine, only his is modified a bit. However, he says that even though his gas milage has improved after installing the new computer module, his "seat of the pants, off the line" perfomance has not. I don't think his primary goal had to do with economy. He sounds like he was hoping to be able to launch faster, burn those big, 16" tires when the mood struck him, do 140 MPH if he could get away with it, whatever his fancy. I've always heard that the computer controls on any given late model car could be upgraded and produce surprising results. But, from the results "D RAM" ended up with, I'm just as well off to leave my truck like it is. My goal was to have more power off the line as well as top end; I'd like to be able to go to the local drag strip and race (and hopefully beat) other trucks and newer cars that are comparable to mine, not to mention a little stoplight to stoplight action now and then. Maybe I'm asking too much from this seemingly simple bolt-on component, but you have to remember that a N2O system is merely a bolt-on device that all but guaranties substantial performance improvement. So how about "Christopher"? Have you any advice for "D RAM" and myself? We're dying to show, smoke, and go w/o having to swap over to a big block (now there's a gas guzzler!)-HIGHBALLIT

Old 06-02-1999, 12:16 AM
Christopher

I have to go back with my previous reply.I had a customer at a Dodge dealer I worked at that had a 95 Ram and he wanted the same thing you do.I put the whole Mopar stuff into this Ram,Camshaft,Headers,Valve springs,K&N filter,the whole deal and I changed the rear gearing to 3.91 too.After these mods,this guy was knocking off stock 5.0 mustwangs easily.He later put on a throttle body from Magnum Performance(I think that was the name of the company)that had a cfm rating of 1000.This really woke up the Ram too but I think he had to go to bigger injectors also,but I'm not sure on this.I do know that he put on a full dual exhaust on it and that helped too.(this was after I installed the headers)This engine was a 318 by the way.And I forgot that I also put on the Mopar engine controller too.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited June 01, 1999).]
Old 06-02-1999, 03:00 AM
D Ram

I've checked into the availability of Mopar's SBEC replacement computers for a 1996 Dodge Ram w/automatic trans. Guess what? They make a SBEC for every model year V-8 since the new design hit the market (1994-present) WITH THE EXCEPTION OF (you might have guess it) THE 1996 RAM WITH THE 5.2 LITER ENGINE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. Yes, a SBEC is available for the 1996 RAM with the 5.9 liter engine and automatic transmission. This is not a module but a stand alone replacement computer (with high performance programming ei: ignition advance, transmission shift points, fuel/air mixture, rev. limiter, top speed limiter...)that bolts easily to the stock location using the same connections. I ordered a catalog from MOPAR Performance. Christopher was correct, they offer high performance throttle bodies that is supposed to increase air flow dramatically. The least expensive option starts at about $200.00 with a core exchange. Installation sounds like something I'm capable of (easy: 4 bolts, 9 screws and 2 cables). Interestingly enough, they make mention of aftermarket performance accessories (headers, air filters, computers, Cat backs, etc..) thier "OPINION" is that these mods. will not make your vehicle any faster than a stock vehicle equipt. with thier throttle body and a higher rear end (say a 4.1). This seems to support christopher's example of the 94 ram. That had a higher than stock rear end. What do you say Christopher? How important is this mod. to speed?
Old 06-02-1999, 04:18 AM
Christopher

First off,let me say that there is a "SBEC" for your truck.It's P5249955 and the listing is for a 1996 5.2 auto trans truck.The reason I put 3.91's in the Ram was the fact the customer was going to put a real tall tire on it.Now I did all the engine work before the gears and that truck would haul freight!! Then I put in the 3.91's and it really was a screamer then.In fact he liked it so much,he left the stock wheels on it and started going crazy with the money,buying the new throttle body etc.I'll put it another way...I had a 72 Duster with a 318 and just for kicks,I borrowed a 4.88 8 3/4 rear and put it in for a weekend.(This car I had when I was 16)You would have thought I put nitrous on that car!!! It moved real well,so I think a set of 3.55-3.91's is another thing I would do along with the engine mods.What you are basically doing when you change gears is multipling torque and torque is what moves the vehicle.
Old 06-02-1999, 11:57 PM
HIGHBALLIT

Thanks for the info guys. I'll start to work on your advice soon. The mods to my truck are kind of an after thought since I'm currently planning to resto my '69 Charger. It's an R/T that came with a 440/4bbl and an auto trans. I've still got the original engine block but the tranny caught a bad break (literally, the bell housing shattered) so I won't be able to use the original trans. One of the major items I know I'll need to replace is the wiring harness, specifically the main connector on the firewall. I know I can replace the engine harness with no problem; it's the rest of the car's wiring I'm having trouble locating. If you know of any vendors that may be able to help (other than a junkyard) please let me know or give them my e-mail:HIGHBALLIT@aol.com
--I'm reluctant to use a junkyard harness due to the fact that the wires will probably be in the same condition as mine ; 30 year old materials prone to shorts
Old 06-03-1999, 12:12 AM
Christopher

I know for a while Year One carried this harness because I almost bought one for a 69 to use in my 70 Road Runner but I didn't want to modify a new harness.(as you know 70's have the key in the column)There is another source I have on harnesses but may take a couple of days to find it.I will e-mail you with source.