Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-15-1999, 03:01 AM
9dodge

I know alot of you make posts on what to do to make horsepower with the new trucks. I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. My wife drives a '98 ram 1500 with the 360. Gas mileage was 13mpg and a little more performance wouldn't hurt. So I heard of a guy doing a cat back exhaust that was kinda in the early stage of development. I bought one and he increased HP by 19 and torque by 47 foot lbs. You can feel the difference. He chassis dynoed it before and after and gave me the printed results. Mileage went up 5 miles per gallon. I don't want to sound like I'm selling the product, but if your intrested please email me and I can give you his number. Email ascamaro@AOL.com
Old 06-15-1999, 05:26 AM
ncarnes

47 ft-lbs!? Wow what does he do use two mufflers? :-) Seriously that is a huge differnce! I already have my exhaust done but for exhaust to increase torque that much is almost unbelieveable! I am curious as to what the exhaust is like. Is it dual, single, what muffler? What is the size of the tubbing?
Old 06-16-1999, 01:34 AM
9dodge

Believe it or not, the stock muffler turned around backwards!!. It's what he puts before the muffler. The best way to describe it a couple of cones welded together.He uses the stock single exhaust in the stock location. He also drives a Dodge Ram 360, 1995 model, which he has a set od thorley headers on and he got 185 hp to the ground. Not bad for just adding an exhaust system.
Old 06-16-1999, 03:44 AM
Christopher

Works for me!!! Although I'll admit the backwards muffler sounds kinda strange.How does it sound??? And did he ever give you a vaccum reading on the dyno sheet???
Old 06-16-1999, 08:32 AM
ncarnes

185hp on the ground? Maybe its me but that seems a little low. The '95 truck's put out 240hp right? So it seems like a lot of loss for there to only be 185 at the rear wheels. I realize that there is lost hp from the crank to the rear wheels but for it to lose 65 hp even with a new exhaust system doesn't seem right.
Old 06-17-1999, 03:23 AM
9dodge

As far as "how does it sound" Throaty is the best way to describe it.
As far as how much you lose to the ground, you would be very surprised!. I had my race truck engine dynoed and then I had it chassis dynoed. The motor dynoed at 260 HP, on the chassis dyno 170 to the ground. You lose alot turning tires, gears, trans, it all adds up. I know of a chevy guy same dyno, 280 on the motor, 192 to the ground.