Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-25-2002, 04:13 AM
Inactive User

Smile Rumblefish

Hello Rumble...Congrats on the mega post count.

I need your input here! I have a somewhat wore/ middle of life 85 360 in my RamCharger, it has a good timing chain of some kind. I turned the crank back and forth while the mechanic watched the rotor. It also has some kind of an RV cam, previous owner said it was aftermarket for when he used to tow alot.

I also have a complete 90 318. You know I want to put those 302 heads on that 360. I saw a post you wrote recently explaining why that was a bad idea. But logic and common sense aren't big considerations when your just playing around. So to mate those heads to the factory 4 bbl.intake is port matching a big thing, and if so should I go further with the porting and try some de-shrouding and bowl work?

This motor will run 4000 RPM as per factory original shift point. Just looking for a little more snap off the line, maybe some economy as well. This motor has the ignition kit as well as headers and 2 1/4 duals, no cross over.

Or do you think the whole 318 re-built would be a better choice all around? This truck is a 4x4 with 3.23 axle and the A518 trans which I will finish wiring in eventually making a final drive of 2.28 with a non-locking tourque. Tires are 33x12.5x15's.

Also, have you seen those new locking stall tourque's in the new Mopar Perf Catalog? Do you know if one of them would be compatable in this setup?

I also have a 91 318 4x4 A518 factory stock, so I might look at stall tourqueing the pair of them.

Thanks... Brian
Old 01-26-2002, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Just keeping it up!
Old 01-29-2002, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

And Again.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Brain Mills;

LOL sooooooo sorry. I took a few days rest here. I was out making a deal on a house after looking like crazy. Thanks on the post count.

OK here we go.

On the heads. Install the 1.88-1.60 valves if you can to help the engine breath. This is a big plus.
The port matching of head to intake is worth a few ponys. Pay attn. to the roof and center divider. Not so much the outside walls and to a lesser extent, the floor. Do not gasket match. There may not be enuff meat on the cyl. head for this.
Deshrouding the valves in a low rpm engine usally dosn't yeild positive results in excess of a few cfm. I have only seen results around 5-10 cfm depending. Although, every little bit helps. JUST BE CAREFUL. Don't nick where the valve seats on the head!
However, the bowl porting is an excellent way of getting HP.
In a Feb. addition of Car Craft, they show how to port a 360 head. I was floored to see it a MoPar head ! This happens to be a very good issue. (Also in this issue is a cam change in a 68 Cuda 4spd and a cycl. head comparing of stock factory heads from the big 3.)
Seeing that you said it would be a mello machine, porting the heads to the extent Car Craft did would still yeild great results. When you grab the issue, look at the head flow at .500 lift.
The 318 should be compareable.

I think the 360 should be rebuilt over the 318. The extra stoke is needed in a big tire/low gear/heavy truck. Also the .090+ bigger bore size. is a plus! Build the tranny to take Hi-torque abuse from the 360.

If your tranny is a lock-up, you need a lock -up. If it's a non-lock up, use the non lock up converter.They do not interchange.
What is " stall tourqueing "

Have fun and let us know how it works.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Hey RB,I couldnt believe it either,a Mopar head being ported!!!! in Car craft?what are those guys smoking? great photos too......PRO......
Old 01-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

PRO!!! HELLO!!

Yea, tell me about it. I nearly fell over and had to look at what mag I was reading.
Cam changin Cudas, MoPar head compare-o, electric fan compare-o, block sleaving a 440 MoPar, Compression reading...WOW!!!

Next month...big inch small blocks from the big 3.

(YES kids, MoPar too. The 360-406 model is up!!!)

What happened!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 04:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Thanks Rumble

And thanks again! I will definately pick up the Car Craft Issue, I think I browsed past it once already. I just got used to not buying it!

Stall Tourqueing is one of my abreviations. (DANGER!.. author makes random jumps from 1 finger to 2 finger typing!)

Think I should send it to Websters?

Stall Tourquing: verb, pronounced Stall Tork King... refers to the instalation of a higher stall tourque convertor in front of an automatic transmission. see car nut, hot rod and drag racing!

Brian
Old 01-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

LOL never heard it that way. OK.
Well, with that tall tire and 3.23 gear, I would say the cam selection is on the small in size side. I really don't see a big stall going in.
If it were me going this route, 340 resto cam and converter to match. Just me...a 4spd guy, but what do I know?
Old 01-30-2002, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Cam

This motor has a cam of some sort other than factory. The original owner passed away 4 or 5 years ago, just before I found the truck. I did talk to him briefly when the truck was fairly new, I recall him mentioning a cam, but he didn't even know the exact specs or the manufacturer.

What I do know is that it gets real good milage under light throttle, like when my wife had it for a daily driver. Myself, I like the sound of the Thermoquad too much. The factory Rottenchester got tossed, (litterally), even local Chevy guys couldn't make that thing work properly.

The engine responds very well if I tow a trailer, and the heavier the better. When I put the 2 1/2" skyjacker kit on, I put 35x12.5.15 Mud Terrains on for about a week. Just till they started to rub frequently. The performance from the engine was nice at this point, the seat of the pants feel is not as strong with the 33" all seasons. I guess basically it is all tourque. I was thinking along the lines of a MP RV cam. I drove a 318 once that had this cam, and I have too agree with all the reports Pro has made on this cam.

I'm going out to look for the Car Craft mag right now, then I need to make a tool box change. I just bought a Macsimiser 1850 ClassII workstation bottom cabinet. I'll probably be spending a fair amount of time on the heads after that. I will more than likely have a couple of porting questions since I have never tried this before. I have a cheap die grinder, some bits and a big compressor. Feel free to offer tips as you see fit.

Brian