Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

Default 1968 Charger ??

A friend of mine recently bought a 68 Charger with a stock 440 and a 727 tranny. He plans on puttinng on frame connnectors and putting new leafs in but not sure what type (HD stock or superstock)? He is also going the put all new polyurethane or polygraphite suspension bushings and new torsion bars.What size bars would you suggest?? He would also like to know what he would need to get this car into the 12's? he plans on swaping gears between the street and track and was thinking of putting a manual valve boddy in the 727. So what do you guys think??

PS what is the maximum size tire you can fit under the stock wheel wells? And are pionion snubers worth anything?
Old 01-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

I guess it all depends on what he plans to do with the car. Whether its a street car or drag only, will be the deciding factor on most of your questions. Larger dia. torsion bars will be nice for a street car, but for a drag car a smaller bar will aid in weight transfer. Rebuilding the front end is a great improvement in any use. The rear spring decision also depends on the cars usage. HD springs will be a good upgrade for street or drag. SS springs may not be what he wants on the street, but are great on the track. I will leave the motor questions to the more knowledgeable. I do know that chargers are rather heavy cars. I have also not driven a car with a manual valve body. A good shift kit will be a great upgrade either way. My brother has a 68 charger also. He is running 275-60-15 BFG on factory steel wheels, with miles of clearance. Hope this helps
Old 01-26-2002, 04:27 AM
Inactive User

Great buy !
I have a ´69 myself.
Getting to 12´s is not too hard.
I would put HD springs.
torsion bars ? I have 1" bars but he could have smaller,,,,how tight he wants it to be ??
Also have manual reverse valvebody in mine and love it !
I have 15*7 and 15*10 wheels with 255*65 and 295*50 tires.
More is impossible at my car but the space may vary from car to car !!
Oh, about those frameconnectors:
Make him weld them on or they are useless.If they are bolted they allways flex....
Pinion snubber in 12 sec. heavy car like the Chargers are do not make any difference in my opinion (did nothing to me).
A couple of years ago I had a mild cammed 292 509 lift hyd. 493"engine in mine making about 500hp ??
It went at that time 12.5-12.8....

hope I could help you some,
Kim
Old 01-27-2002, 10:20 AM
Inactive User

This car will be mainly a street car and will see the track about twice a year. He likes a tight handling car and was wondering if front and rear sway bars would help handling any ??
Old 01-27-2002, 12:59 PM

Go with the sway bars, 1" torsion bars and the HD rear springs. You really don't want the SS springs, as the ride is horrible. If it isn't going to see the track often, I would go with a Trans-Go shift kit, instead of a manual valve body. Pinion snubbers are pretty good, just reinforce the flooring directly above the snubber.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

For a tight handling street car I´d use sway bars.
I have both front and back and they do make difference.
I have SS springs and in mine they do NOT make the ride horrible !
Still for a tight handling street car I would prefer HD springs.

Kimm
Old 01-28-2002, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

Have any of you used the Magnum force upper and lower control arms and coil over shocks instead of the torsion bars? If so does it help handling any ??