Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-07-1999, 09:35 PM
Inactive User

Question

The next upgrade I'm looking for is my exhaust. I would like to hear it - but I don't want it so overwhelming I can't enjoy my stereo. I want dual split straight out the back (cl***ic hot *** / muscle car style)Here's the cat-back styles I've checked out so far:

Gibson has a set - but I saw an article that tested them against Hedman, Borla and Jardine - and the Jardine cranked out about 5 more horses than anyone else.

I like the Flowmaster "American Thunder" sound, but JEGS or Summit doesn't seem to carry a set for my 98 Quad cab short box. (Although at the www.Flowmaster****lers.com site - they have that exact listing.)

What do you run ? Although I like the sound, I'd rather not go with "gl***pack" because they don't seem to last too long and you can "blow out" the fibergl***.
Old 07-08-1999, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up

I would suggest you go with the Mopar Performance headers. I'm running them on my 96' and they still look great and have never had a problem with them. They have been on my truck since it was new, they were added when the truck had about 1200 miles on it. If the other manufacturers of headers for the *** don't offer a lifetime warranty then that's another reason to go with Mopar.

As far as your exhaust...go with a single pipe, like the one Mopar Performance sells. Duals just add additional weight to your truck, plus there no real performance gain with the duals. More weight = slower truck. Most people would say the duals don't add that much weight but the lighter your truck is the faster it will go.
Old 07-12-1999, 04:33 AM
Inactive User

I have a '96 Indyram and I had my exhaust done at an exhaust shop, rather than buy a premade setup(the "premades" really offer no gain in flow over the relatively free flowing stock Dodge setup) and your only talking 15 lbs of weight max for the dual pipes and the sound on duals is much better than a single pipe. I went with a dual pipe catback setup(the stock dodge cat is very restrictive but I have yet to find a good replacement), no mufflers and 3.5" chrome tips. I know that it seems like the noise level would be terrible but actually its not as loud as you would think and it sounds awesome. When you really get on it, there is some serious noise coming out but if your just cruising down the highway you only hear a slight rumble and the stereo is very easily heard. If you have the windows closed you can just barely hear any exhaust at all. As far as the Mopar headers(I hate to say this about Mopar products) steer far far away from them. They don't offer any performance gains and aren't much better than the manifolds. If you are dead serious about getting a set of headers then JBA is the only way to go. They are cheaper than the Mopars, and they are true "tuned" headers with equal length pipes. I would recommend having them Jet-Hot coated as they look great that way and are a lot cooler than uncoated.

[This message has been edited by ncarnes (edited July 11, 1999).]
Old 07-14-1999, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

You might concider what I did, I had a muffler shop, a real good one, install duals on mine, real duals. You will need to buy one more cat. but if you want true exhaust this is the way to go. You do realize an hp gain with duals if they are set right. You will want to run 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipes with this system. I'm running a 360 with duals. I'm using a Hemi style muffler 2 1/4' in and out. As far as headers I will have to agree that the Mopar headers aren't that good. I'm using Tri-y type and love them. My rig is 3/4 ton 4x4.
Old 07-14-1999, 02:13 PM

ncarnes & karl,

What's wrong with the Mopar Performance headers for the Magnum truck? You two aren't saying they offer no performance gain our you? I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine, they were easy to install and still look pretty good. The chrome has blued some but other than that they still look good.

At the time the performance mods were made on my truck no one else was offering much aftermarket parts for the Magnum. My truck is a 95, not a 96 (typo) as I said in my earlier message.

If one only installs the headers on their truck, well of course there won't be a performance gain. One needs to install the performance exhaust, engine controller and cam to see a performance gain. Mopar has always recommended their performance items as a package for their Magnum powered trucks.

My truck has Mopar Performance headers, exhaust, cam, aftermarket roller rockers and pushrods, under drive pulleys, performance air filter element, 180 thermostat and adjustable timing controller. These performance mods have knocked off over a second on my 1/4 mile ets. MPH increased in the 1/4 mile by about 4 MPH. Gas mileage has also increased.

[This message has been edited by hemivaliant (edited July 14, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by hemivaliant (edited July 14, 1999).]
Old 07-15-1999, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

hemivaliant,
To be honest with you, thats exactly what I am saying. When you look at gain per dollar amount the MP headers don't help at all. Sure you haven't had any problems with them, like all MP parts they are well made, I wasn't saying that, I was simply saying that they don't do anyting for the truck. A friend of mine had them on and ran his truck at the strip(his is an Indyram also, he has they usual comp cams cam, TB, dual exhuast, PCM, and other stuff) and when he ran with the headers he actually lost 1/10th in the 1/4 mile. Then he put the manifolds back on and gained it right back, once he installed the JBA headers he gained 3/10ths. Not much else for me to say, the numbers prove it and I am not the only person who says this, there are lots out there who feel the same way.
Also, of course Mopar recommends their parts as a complete package! Why wouldn't they? Why sell just the cam for $600 when you can sell the whole package for $2100! :-)

[This message has been edited by ncarnes (edited July 15, 1999).]
Old 07-18-1999, 08:02 PM

ncarnes,

You make some very valid points. Maybe I'll look into the JBA headers. Are the ones you're refering too the "Ram Horn" style of headers from JBA? If they are, any clearance problems with the valve covers, etc? What kind of warrenty does JBA offer on the headers they sell for the Dodge Ram?
Old 07-20-1999, 10:39 PM
Inactive User

Yes the rams horns headers are the ones I refer to. I wasn't there during install of them on my friends truck but he said it was a breeze to install and there were no problems. The way JBA sets up there warranty is kinda odd but it works well: 2 years free replacement, then it depreciates after that. So that each passing year you get less money back towards them. i.e. 3rd year 70%, 4th year 50% and so on. I personally have not bought a set, yet as I am waiting to get the gears and suregrip in and get the blower and blower installed. Then I will move to the headers. At this point in my truck they are not needed. A side note....definately get them jet-hot coated. They not only look awesome when they are done, suposedly the underhood temps drop. Anyway, if you already have the Mopars then I wouldn't change. True the JBA's could pick up 4/10ths on you quarter mile times but the headers and coating would cost a bunch, so I would just run the Mopars until you can't stand the blueing and or they hole. Then switch to the JBA's. Unless your very serious about racing the truck, then I would switch ASAP.
Later,
Nick
Old 07-23-1999, 04:53 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I put a 50 Series Flowmaster Muffler (3") on my truck with a K&N filter.....2mpg increase, great sound, and a nice kick in the butt. All for under $150. Maybe I'll stop here 'cause why mess with a great thing?!
Old 08-03-1999, 07:42 PM

Question

I once read somewhere where someone (don't you just love all the specific details?? )installed a Flowmaster muffler backwards and got an even bigger boost in flow with very little increase in sound.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 08-03-1999, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

400Magnum,

Yes, I heard a similar story....except that it was a Dynaflow muffler and it was a F150.
Old 08-03-1999, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

Question

How can that be ???? I have read where some mufflers can be bolted on in either direction of flow, but I don't see how that would boost HP ? > > > > >
Old 08-04-1999, 04:36 AM

I'm not sure how it works, or if it was even true. I was a bit skeptical of it when I first heard it simply because I've seen all of the testing and research that companies like Edlebrock and Flowmaster and others do to make the mufflers the best that they can.
Since the subject of exhausts came up, I just thought I'd throw that question out and see if anyone else had heard it too. It's been so long, I may have gotten the brand of muffler wrong as suggested, and I have no idea whatsoever of what it was mounted on, so it very likely could have been an F150 for all I know.

From what I can see in the Flowmaster product catalog, it would appear that they shape certain sections of the muffler to act as anti-reversion chambers, which helps scavenging, which helps flow. Now if you were to turn the muffler around and had the incoming exhaust hitting the "cup" of the anti-reversion chambers, I'd have to believe that the flow rate would drop. However, I could be wrong, it's happened before...