Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-27-2002, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

Default Quicker ratio steering 71 B body

Hey everyone,

As we all know the older cars are a bit lacking in fast steering ratio. Is there a way to convert it to a AAR/TA quick ratio? What would be needed to do the conversion? Steering box, Pitman arm, Idler arm? I'm not ruling out a complete conversion to a rack and pinion either. Has anyone done this yet. IF so , how and what was needed for the conversion. Any sites or articals on the swap?
any help would e appreciated

RC
Old 01-27-2002, 12:47 PM
Inactive User

MP still offers the 20:1 kit to replace the 26:1 that was std on manual boxes. I've heard and read that factory "Police" units were quicker than std equiped units and were power assisted type.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:49 PM
Inactive User

Check out www.firmfeel.com They should have what your looking for.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Firm feel or Steer and Gear are your ticket road chicken. I put a Firm Feel stage 2 steering box in my bee and it is just awesome. No more of the old style soft play in the wheel that the old mopar's had. It seems to turn quicker too. I just had it out yesterday for it's first powered ride in over 13 years! Wow, that thing turns nice and the 383 is itchin for a long straight away! They also offer faster ratio pitman arms.

The swap is pretty easy. Just pull out the column, disconect the pitman arm from your centerlink and unbolt the steering box from the K member. The hardest part will be disconnecting the pitman arm, a pickle fork will be needed or just use a big hammer. I had the engine out when I did mine so I had lots of room, so it may be a little bit more difficult for you, but not too hard if you ask me.

Anyway's thumbs up to steer and gear and firm feel for these boxes. I think EVERY Mopar should have them, they are that noticeable.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Inactive User

You don't need to go spending all kinds of bucks to get quick response steering. All you have to do is convert your a or b boby pitman and idler arm to the c body stuff. c bodies have a longer center to center distance then a's or b's. been there done that.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Ok I'm aready with some of you. The car already has the steering box rebuilt by firm feel to the #2 spec's. he said it would be to much- I like it- but it seems like it just takes too many turns to get the tires aimed.

SO MOPAR MAN..... with the C body parts. Oddly enough I just happen to have those two arms in stock,( had a 71 300 I was stashin parts for).

You didn't have any problems with the angles or heights? Oil pan clearance? How about the maximum travel?? Just so I'm sure I'm pullin the right part and not needing another year.

What sort of swap did you do this on?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-28-2002, 12:12 AM
Inactive User

Its been yrs and yrs since i discovered this trick but if memory serves me correct i pulled the pitman and idler arm from a 69 newport and put it on my 71 GTX. i am not sure but i think i had to use the newport center link but i could be wrong. hope this helps
Oh yes , i think you have to install a couple of stops on the lower control arm. It keeps the tires from gong in and hitting the chassis.