Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-07-1999, 09:14 PM
Inactive User

Question

There seems to be 2 different "Magnum" billet camshafts - both are roller cams. One says it increases 24hp and 27ft lbs of torque - the other the is "Magnum Plus" - that offers 35 hp and 30 ft lbs torque. I see that both are supposed to work with the stock computer as well.

What other changes have to be done when you swap in a differnt camshaft ? Do you have to upgrade to heavier valve springs ?

Anyone tried them ? This is one performance mod I have never done before - and I'm ready to take my 98 Quad Cab out of the "bolt on" performance mode and into the land of serious horsepower.

(If this wasn't my daily driver, I would consider a blower, but . . . )
Old 07-10-1999, 08:24 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Springs should be OK, but call the mopar performance tech line to be sure, or check with the dealer, if I was going with the cam, I would go all the way with the K&N filter, computer, headers and tail pipe, I have used it all except the computer and had good results.
Old 08-25-1999, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Depends on how many miles you have. More than 50k I would do the springs. In the past when I have done this it is really great.

Go with a set of roller rockers (see my posting) and you will add even more lift and duration. Great air flow via a K&N and a larger throttle body then headers. Follow with ported heads and with the cam you should be able up the horsepower and up the torque ALOT MORE than Mopar quotes assuming those figures you gave are with no other mods.

Cams are great, but that is serious and the other mods really increase the benefit.

What is the stock lift/duration? Who makes it? What is the new lift/duration?

If it is your daily driver how about N2O? I would think these magnum engines have forged pistons.

Nick
Old 08-25-1999, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

I jumped the gun in my earlier post, the magnum cams usually call for springs and retainers to be changed. Pistons may be forged, but I wouldn't bet on it, most likely cast. I know that they are machined eliptically, not round. You know if you guys are doing engine mods, maybe explore the crate motor option. Check with the tech line and see if they are compatable with your fuel injection, or take a look at the magnum ported heads in the Performance catalog, theyed go nice with a new cam and valve train.