Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Hello and a quick question.......

I just bought (for the wife) A '02 Durango RT. It wasn't my first choice for the new vehicle but now the more I drive it, the more I really like it. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet but I do have a really quick question. Can I disable the 'auto-lock at 10mph feature? I know that that sort of thing is configureable on some cars. If I can configure that what else can I do?

Does this group have a standard "list of tips and tricks" that you can refer me to? Maybe a "Best-bang-for-buck mod listing"?

I am into tinkering / modding cars (mostly European) and generally making them 'just a little better'. She won't let me go crazy but I can probably slip in a mod or two before she gets to upset.

I have done some reading already and plan to search the archives when I come up with a specific question. I will try not to ask any really dumb questions but I cant promise anything.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Regular Guy

There is a way, however, I don't remember were all the details are. I set mine to open all the doors with one push instead of two. I think you can find the instructions in the archives.

As for mods, since it is your wife's vehicle and an R/T, I'd leave the exhuast alone. It comes with a big Dynomax muffler. You can upgrade the plugs to Champion Truck plugs, NGK ZFR5F-11s, Autolite 3923 or 3924s, upgrade the plug wires, put on a ported throttle body, add a cold air intake and if so desired, add some headers.

If you don't want to go through the work, I'll trade you and I'll start from scratch again!
Old 02-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I appreciate the offer but I don't think she would go for it.

I was looking at the the stage III intenseperformance intake. So far, everything that I have read has been positive. Has anyone had a bad experiance with this product? It looks like the install should be a piece of cake - anything special that I should know?

I have also read a little about a "DRB". I have a PC based tool similar to this for Audi / VW (VagCom) and one for Turbo Buicks (Turbolink). Is there a PC based tool available to the public for Mopar applications?
Old 02-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Inactive User

A lot of people have made comments about the fact that the IP III just hangs in the engine bay and is not as efficient as it could be. I got the IP II and love the way it looks and works! The only somewhat hard thing to do is removing and re-installing the cruise control, but it can be done quickly with a little attention to detail.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

A4Q:

Welcome. If I were you, I'd follow R/T's advice. The Stage III is a bit overkill for what ya got, andwhat your planing to do. Go to Fastman.Com to check out the TB's. He's pretty much sellin the MOST bang for the buck. He's got great products, and is VERY resonable on the price too.

Also, you'll want to replace the shocks. The stock ones SUCK. I went with the Rancho RS 9000s. I also have the remote for them. But I tow allot. The RS 5000s would be good enough for ya. The R/T tires are for performance, not all weather, although yu can have them sipped at a tire dealer. At this point, I can't reccomend any good tires using the stock rims, but, I am looking.

Good Luck
Ugg
Old 02-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the input guys - I appreciate it

I was looking at the stage II set-up and noticed that it only has a heat shield between it and the block - I would imagine that the air it is sucking would be much hotter than with the stage III or even the stock plumbing. You get more air -yes, but it has to be hotter. It seems to me that is not a good thing?

The stage III is nice because you get a direct feed from outside the engine compartment. The thing that I am unsure of is (based on pictures) because of the fact that the stage III is fed via tube (again, I have only seen the pics) and is totally enclosed, the total volume of air is probably less. Is the plumbing on the stage III bigger or re-routed to increase flow?

Is the heat a big factor on the stage II?
Old 02-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

AQ:

Naw, the heat ain't that big a deal. I noticed a BIG difference when I installed the Stage II. Some people took off that rubber/plastic piece up front there, on the side of th radiator. Some ran tubes thru fenders, or from underneith. It's up to you if ya want to do anything like that. It's not needed for your purpose.

Other things you might want to consider is Vent Visors, cargo liner, stuff like that, that aids in driver comfort, and protecting your investment. I got those door sill plated. It protects the paint when you get in and out of the D. Also, there's a guy named Ken Thompson, he makes shields for your inner fender. You may have noticed that space there, where you can see your engine compartment. It keeps allot of junk out of there.

There's allot of add-ons on the market. Be very careful though. Once you start with putting mods on the D, it gets very habit forming.

Later
Ugg
Old 02-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

What is the best way to get air up in to that corner. I have thought about running a tube or using a screen & deflector through the fender well. I can't do it from the edge of the radiator for my system.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

JAW:

Check out the previsious post for a couple of ways. Another way is to go to your local home store, and get some fabricated sheet metal piece that you can use as a scoop, install it in one of the slots on your front bumper, and run tubing to that corner. Put a screen at the opening of the scoop, with a piece of foam there too. his gets the airup there, but not the water or other debris. It's easy, cheap, and out of sight.

Later
Ugg
Old 02-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

It looks like you can put a duct that runs from the grill, behind the light, and into the fender well. If the back section of the fender is blocked I think it should work great. The tubing sounds like a good idea too. How were you thinking for making a duct out of the sheet metal?
Old 02-06-2002, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

Again - thanks for the input all. I will be doing the intake for sure and the TB looks interesting also. That one is a pretty signifigant +HP claim.

I wanted to put a little bit bigger tires on the D right away but I only clear my garage by about two inches.

Ugg - I know what you mean about getting bitten by the 'Mod Bug'. Right now the D is the only thing I own with a motor that is still a virgin.

I'll be around. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Default i know in my 01 ram

it tells you in owners manual howto disablethe autolock feature