Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

Default 727 question

The 727 trans in my '70 440 Cuda has a problem. When the car is not driven for about 3 days it wiil take a while for it to move after you put it in drive. You have to give it some gas and then it will go. Kinda like letting out the clutch slowly in a standard. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

You have lost seal between the convertor neck and front pump and or sealings in the front pump.. the causes the fluid to drain from the convertor to the pan after setting a few days .... it not a real problem , just start up the car and stick it in neutral while you warm up the car and it will go right in to gear...the front pump doesn't pump in park but it will in neutral..... most likely your getting ready for a rebuild down the road ....Lee....
Old 02-05-2002, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

This question comes up alot, and it really isn't a problem. I have seen this happen on fresh rebuilt transmissions.
I think some of the shift kits make the converter leakage problem worse than stock?
Old 02-05-2002, 04:14 AM
Inactive User

Default 727

That can be caused by the O-ring on the clutch piston. Drive it and see if it gets better, I hope it does, but there can be internal failure. I have a Cordoba that waits about 2 minutes to go in to reverse. Then it works perfect until the next day. I could be a bad seal with the torque converter or other but after driveing for a few days, if it dont get better, youll have to work on it
Old 02-05-2002, 01:16 PM

Converter drainback is a normal occurence, as long as there is sufficient clearance for fluid to circulate, there is sufficient clearance to allow fluid to drain from the converter.
As stated, the easiest solution is to merely make the first start of the day with the trans in Neutral. TransGo makes a kit that allows the convereter to refill in Park.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

Default 727 ?

I know everything you all have said is true, but I have never had one slow to go in gear that didnt quit within a day or two. ( Except the Cordoba, refer to eariler post.)
Old 02-06-2002, 07:26 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

When aftermarket coolers are installed with the return line connection located in the lower position, this can gravity drain the cooler, taking even more time to fill. Yes, converter draining is normal. I just took a CD from the factory stating this with the new units as well.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:32 AM
Banned

My 727 used to do the same thing, I installed a Transgo kit and a Dynamic convertor...problem solved.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

This is a common problem on TF's, likely because when they added a Park position they never rearanged the circuits in the tranny to charge the converter in the new Park position. The TransGo Shift Kit or Reprogramming Kit has a modification that corrects this which also now allows you to check your oil level in Park which I also can't understand why they left it that that way except to save a few bucks. This will shorten the delay and perhaps eliminate it as long as you do not have a worn pump or bushings. This also in most cases corrects some 'mystery' problems that TF's have had where they would barely back up in incline or would crack the neck on the converter.