Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Aftermarket Wiring Harnesses?

Anyone used any aftermarket engine bay wiring harnesses? if so, would yuo recommend any? its almost time for me to start looking, and most of the NOS ones i've seen, are looking pretty rough after 30years of oxidation. (this is for my 440 ebody)

thanks
.sbuc72

--PS, Its good to be back online with Moparchat.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:59 PM

I used the wiring harnesses from YearOne, I had one open wire to the alternator and it didn't include the correct horn wiring for my 72 Duster. Being an electronics engineer it didn't take long to find and fix the problems. I haven't heard anyohter problems with it. The plugs were very well made and all fit perfectly.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Default YearOne, Again!

I've used 2 of the engine harnesses (68 and 69 Chargers) and one under dash harness. Both were great... Details such as wire colors/stripes, lengths, etc... all match. Everything plugged right in, even under the dash.

Now, to save a little cash (so I thought, anyway) I actually built my own harness for the tail lights. After I bought all the wire, wrap/tape, and about 4 dremel wire brushes to clean up the rusty sockets (not to mention my labor: About 6 hours of soldering, cleaning, wrapping, and so forth) I added the cost of it all. It cost about $20 more than it would have cost me to just buy it from year one!

On the other hand, I did wire a trunk release into the harness that I couldn't have otherwise.

So, just buy it and plug it in. Those 30+ year old wires need to be replaced anyway. Based on that, I doubt you could put one together for less! Year one has the best exchange/service policies around. If you see a difference, let them know. They will make it right with a minimum of hastle!

(Oh yeah, 1971/72 seems to be about worst year for wiring. I think it was a transition year. I had a 72 318 truck with electronic ign and a dual field alt. Most of the parts catalogs at the local shops insisted that it was not until 73 that particular combo was in a dodge truck. I just started calling it a 73 after I found that out!)
Old 02-05-2002, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

ME TOO! I am looking for a wiring harness for my Dart and every one I have talked to said to go to Year One. But I was wondering if anyone has tried the universal harness by Painless Wiring.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Gotta hand it to year one on this one. The new engine harness and forward lighting harness I got was a direct plug in. All of the retaining clips are in the same spot and everything. The alternator eyelets were also of a bit different size and style, but they bolt right on. To save the headache of getting an electronic ignition harness i just wired in the harness provided by Mopar Performance. I also wired in an electric choke line. Taped it up and it looks factory stock! No hassles, which always makes paying a little more much more easier to handle.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:24 AM
Inactive User

Engine harness from year one for our 73 Duster. No problems. NOW just gotta fix the spaghetti under the dash