Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

Default Ricer Funny Car??

THOUGHT I WOULD THROW THIS OUT TO SEE WHAT YOU FELLOW MOPAR FANATICS THINK ABOUT SCELZI & JOHNSON RUNNING A TOYOTA BODY ON THEIR FUNNY CAR THIS SEASON.
THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT A TOYOTA BODY RUNNING IN FUNNY CAR,EVEN IF IT IS POWERED BY A HEMI, THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BARF........
Old 02-05-2002, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

I can't see where it makes that much difference. The body shells have gotten to the point where you can just about paint on the graphics of whatever car you want it to resemble (and I use that word loosely!).
Old 02-09-2002, 01:10 AM
Inactive User

No kidding Larry...the Mustang funny car bodies don't even have similar styling cues to the production Mustangs....and the Avenger and Camaro/Firebird bodies look almost identical to each other.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:27 PM

The whole idea is silly, actually. Funny car fans know too well, that it doesn't have a Toyota motor, and generally are not import fans. I doubt that Toyota fans care, or that most of them even know, what a funny car is! If this experiment lasts very long, I'll be surprised.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

You are right about the bodies not looking like production cars.What i was refering to was a funny car with toyota emblems,and toyota emblazoned on the sides,is this a portend of things to come.
How about a import pro-stock,most of them have V-8s. Under present rules no,but down the road with lobbying,rule changes and $$$$$$ ,who knows..Something to ponder?
Maybe i am too much of a traditionalist..
Old 02-18-2002, 11:50 AM
Inactive User

I don't see where it matters that much. Since the 70's guys in funny car have been wrapping all sorts of bodies around the Hemi power plants. Like Top fuel- stick all the decal you want on the body- It's still powered by Mopar.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

That was the only way they could actually make the toyota run like that was with mopar power.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Inactive User

Default Car and Driver

I wouldn't really care that much other than the mild annoyance I experience everytime I see it, but, toyota is definitely playing this up. I saw an add for TRD in this months car and driver that just shows the funny car and it says "Notice how fun it is to use 'Celica' and '300 mph' in the same sentence." This just annoys me because there is no mention obviously of the drivetrain having absolutely nothing toyota in it, so this type of thing is just going to further the egos of naive ricerocket jockeys who think there is really a 6000 hp celica out there. Oh well, with any luck toyota will realize they aren't getting much new business out of this partnership and will tank the whole idea.

Matt