Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Serpentine set ups for older 440's like my 1971 gtx

Does anyone know if the March serpentine set up works well on the older 440's and how much grief will it take to put on? I'm looking to replce the v belt sysytem because I keep shredding belts and the racket the belts make. Also I have a 780 holley that is new and maybe I'm just sucking at setting it up but it sucks really bad. any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

If you have A/C I don't think they have a serpentine system that for an A/C car.

I think the belt problem is the width of the factory pulleys. I think they were designed for an 11/32" width belt, and all the new belts are 3/8" so they ride too far up on the pulleys.
On my 1971 383 Charger I would alaways throw the belts, and I tired several different brands of belts, and checked the pulley alignment several times. I finally spent the big $$$ on the March Under drive pulleys and they fixed the belt throwing problem, but the underdrive ratio turned the accessories so slow that the car is more likely to overheat in slow stop and go traffic, and the alternator only charges when the engine RPM is above 1,200 RPM.
I bought the pulleys almost 10-years ago, and I think March now calls these the "Race" under drive ratio, and they sell a "street" under drive pulley ratio set that dosen't slow the accessories quite as much.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

I'm not sure about BB, but I do know from experience that if you have p/s, you might as well resign to giving it up if you want March. They send you the pulley for a GM Saginaw pump which has a slightly different shaft diameter than the Mopar. Then they'll tell "it's supposed to be that one" after they confirm it's for a GM pump. Other options to keep power steering is to pay them another $100 for the pulley you're supposed to have, or $110 for the brackets to fit the GM pump. Either way, it won't line up. Just my experience with March. I do still run the serpentine on crank, water pump, and alt. No power p/s. Fun around town. Later,
Old 02-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Thanks to all who replied about using a march serpentine system,
but I'm still stuck on what else to do . Well as things would have it Ive installed the mopar electronic ignition it works well but my holley is still not right., any suggestions on how to get the most from a 780 holley or should I just go on and sell it and get a new demon carburetor?
Old 02-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Inactive User

My March "bolt on" kit still required some mods and fab work to get spacers lined up correctly for the alternator. The alternator is a two groove kind and the alignment allows me to only use the outside groove. I also made a "guide" that bolts to the underside of the alternator (where your old ajustment arm bolted) and helps keep the belt from jumping off the pully. The guide basically has about 1/8" gap between it and the bottom of the pully (at about 7:00 or so if you look at the pulley like a clock). I can email a pic if desired. The comment previously about the 11/32" belt is also true. I use Dayco? or Dayton? belts with the ribs on the back side of the V. Haven't thrown one in over two years. Those Goodyear belts that are expensive went right off the first time I tried it.

also, March sent me two incomplete kits prior to getting it right. They also made me feel like I was a moron since I couldn't make the "complete" kit work even though I new that the kit was missing parts. I also never got the free t-shirt they said they'd mail.

I have a Speed Demon 750 on my 440 and all I had to do was set the idle, adjust the secondary so that the particular oriface wasn't exposed, and set the 4 corner mixture screws to 1.5 turns out. Runs like a champ. Instructions were very easy to follow.