Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2002, 02:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Battery Relocation(hookup)?!

I recently bought the trunk relocation kit from Mancini Racing and moved the battery to the trunk. My problem is that the instructions aren't entirely clear and I am not sure how to wire this thing. I have the Mopar lightweight starter and I have already run the positive cable from the trunk to the engine bay. Where do I go from here? Oh, it is in a '69 Dodge Charger R/T 440/727. Thanks a bunch for your attention.

Matt
Old 02-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

I used the stud on the neutral saftey relay as an attaching point, and connected the starter from there using one of the battery ground strap type cables with the eyelets on both ends.

This also picked up the stock charging system (vehicle power) wiring from the same location (on my 1971 Charger.)

The only problem with this is the engine will not stop running after cutting battery power with the battery disconnect because the engine will run from the power from the alternator.
On my car (a street car), I just used a microswitch connected to the battery cut-off switch that kills the ignition when the battery cut-off switch is disconnected. This way when the battery disconnect switch is disconnected there is no power forward of the disconnect switch.

On some cars, usually race cars, The alternator output is disconnected from the original wiring harness and a seperate alternator output wire is connected directly to the batterys positive side (before the cutoff switch. In this configuration, disconnecting the battery with the cut-off switch kills the engine, but there is still battery power in the wire that connects to the alternator.