Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-22-1999, 02:40 AM

Hey all....

Im in the process of doing some major rework to a set of magnum heads for my 96 Indy Ram. I intend to put bigger valves in them, and I want to go as big as I can. Upon looking at the junk yard heads I bought I found THERE ISNT HARDLY ANY ROOM!!! MP sells 2.02 valves for these heads, but Im not sure if they will fit, does anyone know if they will, other wise Ill have to go with a still bigger valve, but not that much bigger 1.97.

thanks.... Clay
Old 09-22-1999, 02:46 PM

Sure the larger valve will fit but don't waist your money on them. I recommend you keep the stock size valves (1.916 intake, 1.62 exhaust) in your Magnum heads. Bigger isn't always better. Installing big valves may not always produce the intended power output as desired. In most cases they will hinder low-speed performance. Unless your engine is going to see valve lifts from about .550 and up, have higer then stock compression, a stroker crank, torque curves from 3000 RPM and up and steep grears, stick with the stock valves.

A stock Magnum head will out-flow a 2.02 intake valve Mopar "X" head to lifts slightly past .400. Going to a larger valve adds weight. More weight means slower revs and greater valvetrain vibration that ultimately ends up shaking the crank assembly.

Focus on having your Magnum heads intake and exhaust ports polished. The Magnum head ports don't require a lot of work but there are some areas where improvements can be made. Also focus on either having your stock Magnum intake reworked or purchasing one of Mopar Performance Parts single or dual plan manifolds. The stock Magnum manifold is easily modified and shows great HP improvements when worked on.

TICO Racing Engines in Somerset Center, MI ahs a lot of experience with the Magnum heads. You can contact them at 517-688-8426.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 09-22-1999, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reply HemiValiant! I think that I forgot to mention one very important thing on this head thing though... I know that the valves will flow quite well, and have built a big block that is full tilt race and done all the cool tricks and it runs great, but Im building this motor for another purpose... boost!! My plan is to make everything flow in this engine very very well so that when the supercharger is bolted on in a year it will work that much better... I do plan to port match and debur the heads, as well as open up the bowls a bit and blend everything together better, but just for flow purposes... cuase with 10psi + of boost.. the better the flow... the more power... As to my original question though, they will fit? probably pretty tight Im assuming...

thanks..

clay
Old 09-23-1999, 12:08 AM

Boost, yes that makes a difference. The larger valves should help with the added boost.

If you have access to Mopar Muscle mags, check out the June 98' issue. There's a pretty good article on installing a blower on a modern Magnum engine.

Best of luck on your project and keep us posted on how it's coming along. It sounds like is going to be an interesting and fun combination.
Old 09-23-1999, 01:48 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Here's a link (of a major MOPAR engine builder just a few miles from my home) Check out the info on heads: (It's MOPAR in general) You could email him for more info !
http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/

Good luck on your project.