Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Axle endplay adjustment

Could someone please explain how to set the endplay adjustment on the axles for an 8 3/4" rear end? My car has Mosier sealed bearings, but the new/used housing I just bought has the old style tapered bearings with the adjustment device on the one side. Also, which side does the adjuster end go on? Only one of the axles has the different flange plate.

Many thanks!!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Which side doesn't matter, the axles are the same length. Tighten the adjuster untill there is no play then loosen one notch at a time untill you have .008 to .010 play, install the lock and you are ready to rumble. The end play figures are off the top of my pointed little head so if I am off please correct me. These brgs need to be packed with grease, by the way, and need the inner seal.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

A little confused on what you are asking, The adjuster goes on the right side of the carand requires a preload with tapered bearings. If you have the non-adjustables then the axles can be installed from either side. the rear end widths are different on the 71 B-bodies than they were on the second generation. If you are indeed running a spool that creates another problem, please clarify you intentions.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

I guess I need to look a little closer at the bearings when I get home. The rear end is a posi unit out of a '72 E-body. The axles appear to be the same length as my '71 B-body (based on measuring from the wheel flange to bearing flange and from the bearing flange to the end of the shaft).

They will go back in a posi unit for a street car. HOw can I tell if they are "non-adust" style by looking? They are totally different than my bearings on my Mosier axles. Also, the bearings are tapered and things seem to tighten up if I manually press the flange plate against them. Does that give you any insight or is there more info from the bearings you need?

thanks.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

The tapered bearings are visibly just that, cone and cup, 2 piece. You can see the tapered rollers. The Mosier, "green", ball bearings are sealed, enclosed, no bearings visible, and no adjusters either side. Like George said the tapered bearings normally have the adjuster on the right but have seen them on left also, no problem.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

thanks guys. I'll give it a shot in the day light tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:10 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by jelsr
Which side doesn't matter, the axles are the same length.
They are not the same length soemtimes. I KNOW, I killed my set of bearings while installing them in the dark in a hury. One was about 1/2 longer..put it in worng side and tried to bolt it down....it was too late cause i was using an impact to tighten them down. In my case the adjuster was on the passenger side.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

xf69fs,
Haven't seen any 742 or 489 with different length axles, but know there are some slight length differences between the various housings. Some as little as 1/2". We run 4 circle burners and use a fair number of axles per year. (it's a contact sport) The only problem we've encountered other than the slight length variations is the spacer coming out of the spool and falling into the housing when we pull a bent axle. Doesn't happen often but when it does it really makes your day.
Back to the subject. The Mopar rears are designed as equal length axle and offset pinion to match the engine offset from steering gear. Perhaps I should have said "should be the same".