Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-16-1999, 05:16 AM
Inactive User

Does anyone make a cams for the 5.9 other than Mopar?

I have the Gen II and will be following Ram Man with the 53057 flowmaster tommarow. I will be driving to Vegas on Friday and will
be interested in seeing the MPG and power gain.

Last thing: What chips are out there that really work. I am leaning towards the Jet.
Any ideas or thoughts?

Nick

[This message has been edited by WASFORD (edited September 16, 1999).]
Old 09-18-1999, 07:40 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Wasford
I'ld recommend the Mopar computer. I ran the Jet stage II for the 98 season and pulled it the beginning of this year. It SUCKED!! Can't be sure but I think it was costing about .2 on the 1/4. The biggest thing was I got tired of the engine cutting out on the highway when I went over a bump. Nothing like being in the fast lane doin 80 and the motor,power steering and brakes cut out. The dam chip is a piggy-back set up that plugs into the computer and the harness plugs in to chip.
Tried pullstraps and everything to holdit to the computer. Pay the extra; the mopar has mopower. Concerning the cams, as far as Ive heard all the major manuf. make then for Rams
You want the RV grind. I'ld try Crane first.
Good Luck
RM Indy
Old 09-23-1999, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Here's some Cam info for ya:

Ultradyne Roller Cams: These cams are the ultimate for high HP engines. You can get Ultradyne cams custom ground, so you can get the best possible cam for your application. They have several grinds for each application. From road race to drag race, 340 to 600 inches CAM around $299

Ultradyne tight lash solid Cams: These are absolutely the latest design Mopar tappet cams available. They were computer designed in 1995, not 1975 or earlier like some others. Featuring a revolutionary .016 valve lash, these cams have more duration @ .050 & .200 than any other cam with similar advertised duration. This fast ramp speed builds more torque while maintaining a very strong top end charge. They come close to roller cam performance at a fraction of the cost. around $199

Crane Roller Rocker Kits: Excellent Quality roller rocker kits are the best rockers you probably could usefor street /strip engines. Includes rockers, shafts, & springs. Available in 1.5 & 1.6 ratios.

And MOPAR - they do have 2 (that I know of) that are especially built for MAGNUM engines: One is a roller camshaft that's supposed to increase 24 HP and 27 ft lbs of torque. (Pulls from 1500 to 4800 RPMS and works with the stock computer).
\ Around $325

And the Magnum Plus billet roller cam (again OK with stock computer) power range is between 2000 and 5000 with 35 hp gain and 30 ft lbs torque.
\ Also around $325

Another plus to the MOPAR cams are they keep you vehicle EPA legal (if you live somewhere you have to get your vehicle tested yearly.)

Good luck on your project.

Just a few things I've learned in the Cam world.
Old 09-23-1999, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Ramman, so the two mopar cams you meantioned, which one is the part of the R/T package you talked about in another message?

Btw did you get anymore info on the R/T package?

Thx
Old 09-24-1999, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Actually I have found out even more about the Magnum R/T package from the last post - down to the MOPAR part numbers.

The R/T package consists of Headers, Exhaust, an engine controller (SBEC), a low restriction air cleaning element, a camshaft kit, cast alum valve covers and a set of billet alum pulleys.

Here's probably more than you wanted to know:

Prices for the R/T kit from MOPAR:

Headers $535
Exhaust $270
SBEC $295
Air cleaner element $71
Camshaft Kit $454
Alum valve covers $120
Pulley set $200

But now that I know exactly what is in the R/T package - I dont have to buy the parts from MOPAR and can save quite a bit. For example - the "Low restriction air cleaner element" is no different than a K&N filter. I bought my K&N filter and dropped it in the stock air cleaner box for around 40 bucks from JEGS. (That saves me 30 bucks right off hand.) I can get MOPAR MAGNUM valve covers for 99 bucks - another 20 dollars saved.) Get the picture ?

I don't have the stats from the R/T cam to know exactly which one (from the two above) it is, but I'll try to find out.

Good luck on your project
Old 09-24-1999, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Cool, thx Ram Man.

Actually if you do have the part numbers could, you post them or e-mail them to me, that would be great. Your right about some of those parts though. It would be cheaper to get them seperatly or third party even. Since my truck is an SS/T I don't really need the exaust (or so I am led to believe), and I all ready have a K&N FTPK kit on it. But the SBEC, camshaft kit, headers, valve covers and pullies would be worth getting.

Thx again.