Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-14-2002, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

Question Question of Value??? Need Help?

Guys need your help on this one...

Here is the scoop!

I just got a line on a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T.

From all indications (Vin, Title) it's a real RT. It was a 440 Auto car, pretty basic (no power anything). No console, buckets, black interior.

Bodies in ok shape. It's got some rust bubbles left rear quarter.
The interior has been redone to stock but all new.

It was painted over the original bronz / orange the light yellow / tan and it's chipping away.

The engine is no longer the original 440 4BBl 375 HP, it was swapped out for a real 440 HP 6 Pak (block is stamped) with 727 auto.

It runs REAL strong.

I know it's hard to put a value on this car because it's not stock or original but what do you think it's worth? I have check the various value guides abd they all give huge ranges. I have check the for sale boards and they're all over the place.

Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2002, 04:21 AM
Inactive User

No opinions...

Hmmm... That's not possible... Is it?

Old 02-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Inactive User

A car like this sells more on the condition of the car than the rarity because it is not numbers matching. Since it is hard to tell the condition over the internet there is no telling what it is worth?
I would check the trunk for rust, also around the rear window and the floor boards for rust.
Check to see if rear quarter have been previously replaced, same for fenders and doors.

Make sure the VIN/Title also matches the serial number on the radiator support and if you can see it, the serial number on the drivers side rear quarter on the lip under the trunk lid (I think it may be near or under the trunk weather strip?)

The R/T should have the large 11" drum brakes unless factory equiped with front disk brakes.
It should have the factory front swaybar, 3/8" fuel line, and the R/T rear springs with extra leaves of the passenger side spring (I don't remember the number of leaves for each side?)

Interior should have 150 MPH speedometer, Door panels should have wood strip with reflector on them. Non-ralley dash should have R/T on passenger side wood trim in dash. Make sure all seat belts are present and there should ne plastic latch peices on the front of the seat that holds the seat belt(s).
Old 02-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanks Jim

Your right...

I put the car in #3.5 to #4 condition.

The power train is worth the most at this point. I check most of those things but you gave me a couple more ideas.

I'' let you guys off the hook. He wants 12K for it... (just found that out)... I started laughing!

I thought best case 6K - 8K...

Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Heavy Member

Mike, the question is how important is this vehicle to you? Do you have any specific love for the 69 R/T or does it just represent another cool Mopar Muscle car? The answer to these questions may affect the price you are willing top pay, either up or down.

Remember, they didn't make too much more than 6000 of these cars & there are likely less than 2000 real ones left. So factor this in to what you are willing to pay, if it is the car you want. With so few of them around, the original drive train is not really a gating factor on its desirability. Nor is the low options. Remember, this is no Coronet Delux, 500, or even a Super Bee. This is a real R/T.

Your description of the vehicle sounds better than what you are letting on. New interior sounds like excellent. Rust bubbles behind the rear quarter, typical, heck show me a B-body without it. Real strong runner, sounds to me like you went for quite a ride! It was painted over & is chipping away, sounds like it just needs a little paint.

This guys wants 12K & you laughed. Funny thing is he may know more about this cars value than you do. He clearly won't take 6K. Good luck.

Jims451 FYI : 6 & 7 on the leaf springs. You nailed everything else!
Old 02-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Inactive User

Neat car,my brother had a 69 coronet R/T 440 4 bbl 4 spd dana,bench seat,brinze w/blk vinyl top and blk butt stripe.They only made 3700 of these in 69 but the value doesnt follow the #s,to give you a comparison a friend just bought a 69 RR 440 4 spd(383 orig)with 90k,fresh drivetrain and paint,runs great,iterior is good but needs front seat recovered soon,a very presentable good running car he paid $8500.An r/t should have the bubble hood besides what else has already been mentioned,w/o seeing it hard to say what its worth but Id like to pay around $3500-5500 or so mainly because it needs painted and has some rust and is a bench seat column auto car........PRO
Old 02-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Default Good Points.

WS23 & PRO.

You are absolutely right about desire! To answer the question a Coronet R/T or not is not my first choice. #1 would be a 68/69/70 Charger, #2 a 70/71 CUDA, #3 a 68/69 Coronet, #4 70/71/72 Challenger, #5 69/70 Dart GTS

So As you can see the Coronet R/T is on the list but not the tops.

I will take some pictures tonight or tomorrow and Post!

WS23 - Obviously by your handle your a Coronet R/T guy...
You inferred 12K sounds reasonable (I guess I am putting words in your mouth, I shouldn't do that!) I just don't know Coronets as well as others so I guess that's why I posted this. I know for 12K you can get a pretty nice CUDA (non matching numbers car), Nice Charger (Again Non Numbers Car), and a very NICE Dart (Perhaps even a numbers car). I guess I just thought the Coronet would be roughly the same??? Is that an incorrect assumption?

Clairify Condition...

Interior is compete and clean (obviously has been redone) no tears rips etc. It's a bucket seat rig, no console.
Drum - No power Brakes
No power Steering
Has the sway bars
Rear quaters are a little rusty (hard to tell how bad as it was repainted) The paint is rough (faded bad) it's chipping away - it really doesn't look all that good from even 20 feet.
All the R/T emblems are badly faded or broken.
Most of the Chrome is in good shape (Not that the car has much)
The original hood is gone - It now has a fiberglass hood with a scoop on it.

It has a 440 HP (stamped) 6 pak complete engine. Runs VERY fast! 727 (pretty sure stock HP converter) 8 3/4 suregrip with I think 3.55 gears.

the only Vin I can find (Fender missing / Core unreadable / haven't found left rear fender) is the dash (rivots are intact) However this dash pad looks almost to nice to be original but the title says R/T on it???

Vin number WS23L9GXXXXXX

Oh - the trunk is rusty (looks workable) Floor board (have not check yet).

I still think about 6-8K - my opinion??? WS23 anyone else make a strong arguement for 12K????
Old 02-14-2002, 11:53 PM
Heavy Member

Mike, I didn't want to infer that this car, which I've never seen is worth 12K. However it could easily be made into a 12K car & more. Perhaps with relatively a small investment and a little talent.

I certainly wouldn't pay his asking price. Not even close. And I agree that you can buy a pretty nice Mopar for that. The position I was subtly trying to make is what the car is worth to YOU & what the car is worth to HIM. He may be one of those guys that thinks all his stuff is made out of solid gold, hence the 12K. This car may not even turn you on, hence the 6K. See where I'm going with this.

If this were the car of your dreams or has special meaning, & you have the talent to do paint & prep, & you aren't one of the obsessive #'s matching guys, this car would have a value closer to his asking price than yours. But if it's not your favorite to begin with, & it would be hard to live with the non matching #'s, & just can't stomach the condition of the paint, then it is probably worth less than the 6 to 8 you mentioned.

There is no "right" answer to your question. Value is agreed upon between a buyer who doesn't have to buy & a seller who doesn't need to sell. It sounds as if this guy wants way too much, but to HIM, it's worth it. Post the pictures when you get a chance, & don't get emotionally attached to this specific car. Besides, there are plenty of 5K Chargers out there & they are # 1 on your list.

BTW, the 69 Coronet R/T's didn't come with bench seats.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Inactive User

Value is in the eye of the purchaser

I know a guy who paid $10k(cdn) for a 71/ up charger that might be worth close to that once he spends 3K on the motor, 4k on the body and 1k on the interior.

Bad math, isn't it
Old 02-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Inactive User

Default I agree..

To your Point WS23...

It has great potential... Frankly I am not a numbers match guy... No problem with that I just like the "pro-street" thing more anyway and I just love old cars to much to ever do that to a numbers match car (Know what I mean). I have fixed up enough rods to know that this car is about 4-5 K away from that nice shinny 12-15K mopar! I figure it needs at least one body panel replaced perhaps part of the floor pan, new hood, motor needs a little attention, body needs to be completely striped and repainted, and it needs wheels and tires. I would want to convert the front to disk or perhaps disk all the way around (Power) it needs power steering (Maybe not???). Some misc. emblems and chrome. Floor shifter, higher stall torque converter.

Wow! that's more the 4-5 K.... Perhaps it need more than I thought...

Well - Maybe not most of those things are wants not needs...

I will post pictures tomorrow....
Old 02-15-2002, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

I'd pass, unless it was a real bargain - $3 - $4K. Whatever your "get it into shape" guess is - double it and add $5 Grand. If he is giving YOU thrill rides like this, probably with less than 15 minutes of warm up driving, how many other cold trips like that has he been making. I'd guess some mechanical problems in the near term.

Not sour grapes - I'd just find one that really lit me up, if I were you.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

From what you said on condition, I think the cars value would be less than the guy wants. I don't have an "old cars price guide" to reference, but it seems to give a good estimate on value.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:09 PM
Inactive User

WS23,you could get a bench seat in a 69 Coronet R/T,Ive seen 3 original cars with them,you could even get a bench seat in a barracuda!!!!! ever seen one? I have,a bad idea though,very ugly.toomuch2,it sounds like your in love with the power and not the car,and the car is....acceptable,so dont get in a hurry and pay too much(pun?)maybe make him a decent/low offer and wait.Just a thought..........PRO.........
Old 02-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

PRO is right. Don't get ripped off - especially, don't rip YOURSELF off.

I have, and I always feel like a fool, with no one to blame but... DOUG!!
Old 02-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

I bought my 69 R/T (July 2000) for 7500. It was an auto converted to 18 spline 4 spd, non #'s 440 but all correct yr dated and installed correctly. T5 paint was ok but needed redone as there was some slight body damage to the left front fender and door. It had ps, a/c, and all the original emblems etc. Most everything on was good shape. Interior was redone but had cloth inserts instead of vinyl but looked and felt great. For some it was high $$ and for others it was a good deal at the time. After rebuild of the tranny, paint, new emblems, and buying other things for it I have around 11 -12 in it. Adds up fast even doing it all myself except tranny. Theres more good I can say about it but the reason I got it was what I wanted---4spd, a/c, buckets and etc. so to me it was worth it. I sold a 2 owner original #'s matching, everything redone basic 69 Bee for 9k to pay for it. Although I have more $ in the R/T and its not all original, I enjoy it more because I dont have to be concerned too much about the #'s game and can redo it to my tastes. If its not what you really like then you may regret the idea of putting time and money in it. I did have the chance to get an automatic mostly restored R/T for 10500 but it was in Canada. Sometimes I wonder maybe I should have bought it instead but hindsight is better than ..... Buying and selling is all about what its worth to the buyer or seller. My friend just payed 20K for a nice 70 Challenger R/T unrestored driver and he's thrilled with it. To me no way I'd do it. Decide what you really want and stick to it. After that shop around and decide for yourself what it's real value to you is. I can put 16k in mine but that don't mean its worth it to anyone else. Just my take and sorry for the lengthy 2cents more like 2$ worth.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

The Vin# is correct for the R\T2 dr Coupe of wich 6,518 were manufactured, this one in St Louis. The March 2002 issue of Mopar collectors Guide lists several 2nd generation Cornets:

68 R\T ps,pb, auto console rallyes excellent paint runs great $13,900

68 R\T 56k org miles 440 600HP Ca car no rust $12,500

69 Coronet 400 ci eng clean buckets $2,500

70 R\T conv 15" rallyes 410 Dana $6,995