Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-16-1999, 07:43 PM

Question

Hey guys..

I've got a project in the works which is currently just a freshly sandblasted and painted 89 YJ frame..
I was wondering what you guys think of horsepower vs torque for offroading.. my opinion is torque.. because high HP aint gonna help ya if you dont have the torque to pull you over the rocks.. but i may be wrong..
I was also wondering if you guys have any tips on how to get more torque or HP in terms of block, head, piston, cam..
Right now I have the stock 4.2 258 inline 6 down to a bare block but I'm thinking of putting a v8 in there..

dan
Old 10-20-1999, 03:36 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

I would definately say Torque over horsepower for off road adventures. You are right - speed is not necessarily THE thing to have when you are off roading - pulling power is . . .

Not that you are not welcome at this forum, but to give you another option - try www.truckworld.com

they have all sorts of posts on 4WD and you could get different responses there as well. I go there all the time.

I think the V8 would be a great addition to your ride. (Should add both HP and torque.)

Good luck on your project.
Old 11-22-1999, 11:45 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I off road fullsize trucks, have found out that horsepower won't get you much. Go for the torque. Many aftermarket parts are made for your 4.2, you just have to look and ask about them. The straight 6 is a very torquey motor to begin with. I'd work with it. Just make sure you get the gearing right.
Old 11-23-1999, 12:21 AM

Yes, go for the torque. Unless you have super-super low gearing to take advantage of the horsepower that comes on in the higher rpm, torque is the way to go. Even if you had the gearing to take advantage of the horsepower, you'd have to have your rig wound out to 4500-5500+ rpm all day long. Too noisy, too much fuel consumption, and definitely not good for engine longevity, especially when rock-crawling with little to no air flow cooling the radiator. Not to mention that it'd be very touchy like a high-spirited horse, always jumping and lurching when you least want it to.
The nice thing about a bunch of torque is that you can use it for smooth, controlled off-roading/rock crawling, and if you get a suitable tranny with enough gears, the engine will have the grunt to pull your Jeep down the highway at relatively low rpm once you get her moving.