Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Banned

Default It's Daytona Sunday!!!

It's after 10AM in Florida, the garage is a swarm of worker bee's tuning, pacing and double checking every detail.
Crew chief's walk around and around the machines tapping their clip boards with their pencils, pointing and snapping orders to an unquestioning crew.
The Goodyear tent is alive with the scream of the big screw compressor and air blasts from inflators and tire machines.
The crews are lined up with hand trucks for their daily allotment of yellow lettered hides.
On pit road the whine of drills buffing the lug holes in the black wheels and the smell of contact cement glueing the lug nuts to the rims fills the air.
Gas cans are filled and weighed and re-weighed numbered and lined up behind the wall.
Tire changers are stretching and flexing, oiling their weapons getting ready for the gun fight.

If Dale was still with us he'd be leaning with one arm on the roof of the Old #3 in his starched denim shirt, smiling and talking to some other driver making jokes and just being Dale.

I sure miss those days in the Garage.....

Then the last line to the National Anthem...
"Gentlemen start your engines"

Will the Dodge boy's smoke the field?

Will the 3/4" rule on the Firds move them to the front?

Will the Chebby guy's team up and draft to the lead on the high side?

Who will crash and who will survive?

Oh ya, and it's our anniversary today, we got married the day Dale won the Daytona after 19 years of trying, so our anniversary will always be Daytona Sunday no matter what the date.
I went all out this year and got Mrs. Cuda a new set of Goodyears for the Fish, she's impressed ......I think?

Today is also the official firing of Cuda, I've been up since 4AM.....pacing the floor and reading posts waiting for the sun to come up. The crew will be here at 9 AM and we'll be firing her off right after the checkered flag flys.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Heavy! very heavy!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Inactive User

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DODGE WINS THE DAYTONA 500!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Banned

Hey Sterling
If your reading this ..What were you thinking?
It would have been Mopar 1 and 2!

And the season begins..
Old 02-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Inactive User

I dunno what Sterling was thinking. maybe he knew that tire wasn't gonna last another 3-4 laps. Either way- pretty funny- I thought. Any way- Mr. Burton CONGRATS!!!!!- I wonder what was going through Wards' head when he realized he went from trying to jump Sterling to holding off the Ford guys. And actually we need to give a big round of applause to the ford guys. If they hadn't been so disorganized on the restart, they might have made it harded on WB. Either way- DODGE IS BACK!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Banned

If I was Sterlings Crew Chief, which i'm not so it doesn't matter, but, I would have told him to crank the wheel hard right on the restart, nail it and slam on the brakes and let the tire push out the fender, it was a better shot than trying to pull it out yourself and going to the back with 3 to go.

It was a great race, and it kept me on the edge of my lazy boy throughout.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

I would also like to extend my congrats to the team of DODGE/CAT!! Ward Burton has put Dodge back in the limelight after what seems an eternity to Mopar fans....thumbs up to all who worked so hard to make that win possible!! And sterling.....next time stay in your car!!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

The last MOPAR to cross the finish line first in the Daytona 500 was in 1974 with the King, Richard Petty, behind the wheel of a 1973 Charger! Yesterday was trully a great day for MOPAR! As far as Sterling goes i don't know what he was thinking, but I like his excuse..."I dunno I saw Earnheart do it at Richmond so I figured it was okay!" Hey he still beat Gordon and manged to climb 5 spots in 4 laps. I have the feeling we'll see him again this year.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO !!!is right!
Listening to the post race radio interviews, the announcer kept trying to get the the GM drivers to say that they were at a disadvantage due to the concessions by NASCAR to Mopar and FERDS!
One of the drivers hit it right on the head. The reason there weren't more Chebbies in the top 5 was because they had either blown up or crashed earlier in the race!
I'm sure we will hear more about htat from the whiners anyway. CONGRATULATIONS! to Ward and the CAT crew for a job well done, and Sterling stay in the car! You could have made it 1-2!!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

Well it's more than cool that a Mopar won the 500! However I must apologize because I know NOTHING at all about the driver, team, body style, and especially, what engine is in the winning car. Is it the new Hemi or what? Thanks guys.............djs