Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-1999, 04:29 AM
Inactive User

I was wondering if anyone has installed the jacobs ignition upgrade in their truck? Did it improve performance at all? Was mileage affected? Was the installation easy? I was looking at either jacobs or msd, but can't make up my mind. Any advice is appreciated.

mopar97

Old 11-23-1999, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

Although I don't personally have any experience with Jacobs ignition systems, I have heard some bad things. I do have experience with MSD ignitions and use nothing else. I reciently purchased a MSD6AL for my 98 Ram. I am a firm Believer in MSD. I've also found their tech support exceptional. All I can tell you is I've used MSD since 1984 and will continue. Good Luck.
Old 11-23-1999, 05:37 AM
Inactive User

Was the msd difficult to install? I too have heard some negative things about the jacobs system. I think I might go with the msd system after hearing some bad stories lately about jacobs.
Thanks.
mopar97
Old 11-24-1999, 03:14 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I have had no trouble installing the (6) MSD ignitions that I have done. I highly recommend the MSD6AL, Blaster coil and MSD custom wires for a small block,(if that's what you have). I have used this combination twice with very good results. This includes my 98 Ram. The instructions are good. Just follow good wiring procedures. I recommend the blaster coil because I did have a factory coil that would miss on the MSD. If your connecting to a computerized system take note to connect the MSD though the coil wires.
Old 11-27-1999, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Hi guys, (sit back and relax on this one...)

I installed the Jacobs "Omni Magnum" system on my '96 Ram 1500. It was very easy to install....it's the plug wires, cap and rotor that took the longest...anyway need to tell you a story first...I had put one of their systems on my '69 charger...because I wanted to be different...it did smooth(eliminate the misfires)the idle on that vehicle like they said it would, but it just did not have any "hit" when you drilled it...so like DodgeMan I put an MSD on that car....I was very skeptical on trying Jacobs again..but that was 6 years ago..so I called 'em up...."Omni Magnum" it is...I worked them over on that charger story and how I was hesitant to try their system again...so they gave me a little discount.

So you guys know, My Ram has the MP computer, MP "cat-Back" and K&N "FIPK" air cleaner in place. With those items in place the truck is 1 second faster in the 1/4 mi.!(6 runs before and 6 runs after..not a fluke!)

So, MOPAweR is good..a lot would be great...enter the "Omni Magnum". I'm sure you guys are familiar with the OBDII "sag" in timing from approx.1000rpm to 2800rpm....when your Ram hits approx. 3000rpm it takes off...well the Jacobs system was working so good that that "sag" was virtually eliminated! "Locked-up" Overdrive "tip-in" performance was phenomenal on the highway...I was totally impressed that just the ignition change could produce such a "seat-of-the-pants" difference! This was definitely not the system I purchased in 1993... They tout fuel mileage increase...well I was only seeing approx. .5-1 mpg...but I wasn't just looking for mileage increase.

Everything was too good to be true.....and it was....well....after the first 2-3 weeks...the truck started to run like dog dew...the "heavy throttle"(like the stock ignition)was back, it was starting to misfire cold again...seemed like it was "worse" performance than stock...all good things must come to an end....well I found that the ignition was producing such a powerful spark and duration, as they state it will, that it burned the cap and rotor up as well as blowing through the cap and crossfiring their wires.....whoa!

I replace the cap/Rotor...it felt like it was coming back....but 1 week...and back to dog dew....I contacted them...'bout the problems..they though it was the wires...they sent me new ones...it's better...or more consistent but not like it was...The cap is trashed again..They say that you must use "Blue-Streak" or "Standard-Electric" cap and rotors... Now these guys make guaranteed not to "arc-thru" caps and rotors...you'd think that due to their system being the most expensive on the market...that they'd put them in their "team" kits like the one I purchased....well I'm in the process of contacting them on this cap and rotor situation....they said they were working on one of their cap/rotor kits for the Ram/Jeep engines...I'll keep you posted....Their system does make the vehicle more consistent..unlike the stock ignition....depending on what happens...I may dump Jacobs again....and like DodgeMan...go to MSD or Accel.

Oh yeah...and their customer support is pretty "iffy"....I pretty much did all the diagnosing myself...anyway...I hope this post is of value to you...

Charger440