Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Vp44 True State Of Problems

I just bought an 01 last fall and had a 94 previously with no "P" injection pump problems in its history.

I am hearing (seeing) lots of background noise on faults/problems with the VP44 injection pump starting at approximately 6000 miles. Is it this wide spread and true, or just a few having problems?
Old 02-17-2002, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Nope

The VP44 is a reliable unit. There are some which have been hurt by low fuel pressure caused by the fuel lift pump. This has apparently been corrected with a better lift pump design. A fuel pressure gauge should be installed and monitored if you are going to pull heavy loads, or if you have modified the engine with larger injectors or a fuel/timing box. The low sulphur content of our fuels does not help, so I always add a fuel conditioner to my fuel. I use Power Service, but Red Line and Howes are also excellent.
Just take care of it, and it will run a long time. Our dealership enjoys an excellent service reputation, and I speak from experience.
Ron
Old 02-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

VP44 failure are common problems,,They are especially more prevelent when the added addition of aftermarket fueling boxes is used,,Lift pump failures were very common early on and caused DC to go to a electrical fuel pump as the pusher,,it did however not cure the problem,but,rather just prolong what still happens,,With todays fuel being low sulphur and very low on lubrication it helps the failure rate increase,,At a recent Cummins Show we were at they told our club NOT to use additives(i.e.-Powerservice),,They only add to the already prevelant harsh fuel and thin it out more(allowing better flow rates in colder temps)and cause excessive wear problems,,Now before those go slamming me on this,Its not what I do,but ,what we were told,,Cummins rep told us the fuel system is designed to handle temps very low and additives were not needed,,However,IF they are going to be used,use a top end cylinder lubricant to help keep the wear down,,I myself am a firm believer in additives(Use Red Line and Amsoil) and run a top end lube thru twice a month and it does seem to help my 12 valver(top end I use is made by Lucas),,Your questions and concerns are valid,like was already said prevention is the key and good maintence practices will minimize downtime,,By the way,so you can feel how stout these VP pumps are,Saturday at our recent dyno meet one of our guys,with a 01 auto and bombing mods,made a blistering 452 hp and 888 ft lbs of torque rear wheel style,,Short bed rocket box to say the least,,They make power for you,you make it last.......