Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Question What are the best flowing mufflers? Lets keep things quiet though.

I need to quiet my car down but I don't want to keep as much power as possible. I have seen cars run quicker with mufflers but there are brobably 1000 variables. Many tracks I go to mandate some kind of sound deadening, but which is the best "value"? The Pro Parts headers on my 440 have 2" primaries and 3.5" collectors. I want it just quiet enough so I can dive it around once in a while without scaring small children and setting off car alarms. I have heard alot of good things about straight line performance.

After looking though some catalogs, I sure am not ready to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I want to use 3" exhaust and stop before the rear axle on my Scamp.

Can anyone offer some valuable input on this? I know most, if not all viewers of this board have been faced with this issue at one time or another?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

dynomax super turbos are from what ive read the best flowing. there also probbably the quitest
Old 02-18-2002, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

On the Dynamax Turbos; I have these on my 340 4spd Duster, flow good-yep quiet-nyet. Mine are cop callers from blocks away. I love the sound, but I would not call these quiet unless they have changed the design since I put mine on 3 years back.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Inactive User

The dynomax 'Ultraflows' are the best flowing mufflers and fairly quiet. I'm gonna do a 2.5 or 3 inch system with an X pipe and ultraflows real soon, with no tailpipes. The X and H pipes help reduce the noise and make a little extra power.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Banned

I use the Moroso bottle type with the screw.
Quiet ..NO
Good flow...????????? I gain 2 tenths when I pull them off.

This year I cut them in 1/2 took a 5/8th drill and drillled 7 holes through the screws and bent the screw lip straight at the cut. Welded them back together, grind, sand and paint, hope we can sneak through tech......ssshhhh
Old 02-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hooker Areo chamber's , highest flowing chambered muffler on the market. BAR None. Dyna max ultra flows are nearly identical to the hooker MAX FLOW mufflers that I am useing now. There not to bad at all. These 2 mufflers flow like open pipe.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

well the dynomax are alot quiter then my 3" 2-chamber flowmasters!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Inactive User

Cuda66, I wondered how those mufflers would sound. You may want to try some maximum flows or ultraflows.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

I haven't tried anything else, but I sure shopped around and searched all the threads on this subject before I bought my Dynomax Super Turbos. I am very pleased with them. I wanted a quiet rumble for the convertible, but didn't want to kill all the power in my new 340. Well they aren't that quiet, but at idle they're quiet and while at cruising speed they're quiet. During any acceleration, they're pretty gritty! Nice throaty roar that really turns heads. I have 2.5s with a crossover. I've heard the turning down the tips will make it reverberate more inside the car, so I'd run those pipes to the rear. Show off what real exhaust pipes are supposed to look like.
I recommend them.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Turbo's

I can't speak for anyone else, but I hate the sounds of turbo mufflers. Can't speak for the sound of Dynomax but every turbo muffler I ever heard sounds like a tin can with something rattleing around inside. Make's a Hemi sound like a flathead. Good flow, bad sound. Kinda like a cop without a dounut, or a boy named Sue. I still hate that sound.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:45 AM

Arrow

Hooker Aero Chambers are from what I´ve read the best flowing pieces on the market, these mufflers flow like open pipe. They´re "see-through-design" and very good quality.

They´re probbably NOT the quietest mufflers around but at cruisng speeds they´re quiet enough to let one to conversate inside the car. Not too bad at all.

And when you put the pedal to the metal.... ;-) ... all the hell breaks loose.... ;-)

Just my 2 cents, - BB 70 Challeng
Old 02-20-2002, 04:01 AM
Inactive User

Smile Hey Brian

I have the 2 chamber Flowmasters on my Belvedere but they are very loud. I use to have the 3 chambered ones with pipes all the way to the bumper and it was a respectful sound but not so loud. More of a bassy sound than anything. But sounded tough!!

My exhaust now is Hedman hedders through 3 inch pipe through 2 chamber flowmasters and then exit right out of the mufflers through turn downs!! Yes, very loud. LOL

Scott
Old 02-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Inactive User

I recently read an article on building a system that is street legal noise wise,but you lose no more than 1% of you open header exaust...

to start you need to figure out how much total flow you need...the formula for that is HP*2.2

after you figure out what flow is needed after that you figure out what size pipe you need there are 2 ways to do this...you can mulitply your primary diameter by 1.75,or you can go by how much the pipes will flow,you need pipes that will flow at least half you required flow(since it is a dual exaust system,each pipe will flow half...)pipes flow 112cfm per square inch (2 inces flow 350cfm,2.25s flow 445,2.5's flow 550)

immeadeatly after the headers install an H-pipe,this helps both flow and noise level,then about 3.5-4 feet of pipe and some glass packs,you can then put on enough pipe to reach the end of the car,and install a muffler that flows the rate you need,one on each pipe,bring the pipes out the rear and turn them down 45 degrees
NEVER END THIE PIPE UNDERNEATH,this causes the car body to amplify the noise,

I hope this helps,I am trying to keep it short,if you need more details let me know I will try to help
Old 02-20-2002, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up

Good info, freak007 !!!

Really something new on this exhausting topic ;-) Thanks for the info!

Keeo up the good work, - BB 70 Challenger -
Old 02-20-2002, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Brian C if you have a exhaust systemwith a H pipe I think the Dynomax Welded Ultraflows would be a fine choice. Not loud till you go WOT and they flow excellent. They aren't as loud as 2 chamber flowmasters. They have a $25 rebate per muffler on them right now. Regularly $59.95 each thru Summit or Jegs.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Inactive User

i forgot a few things,the length of the pipe between the muffler and header effects your powerband,it causes it to "rock" at the peak torque level,the shorter pipes reduces low end,but enhances top end,a long pipe reduces top end,but enhances low end,after 5 feet of pipe(includeing the glass pack) you will see no differance in performance,most street warriors need between 3 1/2-4 1/2 feet INCLUDEING the glass pack,when you put in the glass pack,make sure you have a good one,the tighter the glass packing and the smaller the holes inside the better,if you are not sure,use one that is at least 1 size bigger than the pipe you are useing,be sure the 'packs flow as well as the rest of the system...