Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

Default BB Engine Help and some fabrication

Alright here goes, sometime in the future I want to go big block with the truck that I have in my sig.

Guidelines:

I want something with minimum 600hp(whether it be a 400 stroked or 440 stroked, etc.), I realize that is a good bit but I want to be able to hit 10s or 11s with this truck and it weighs something like 4400lbs.

Since I have a 904 transmission I will need to go with something stronger I assume. So I was thinking the 727 but I am not sure whether it is a perfect fit where the 904 is, so I guess some other modifications will be needed for this to fit(cross member?).

Since the big blocks weren't available in my model truck I am not sure how hard it will be to modify my truck so the engine will fit as well as all the accessory upgrades, etc. I will need to change out from my current 318 equipment(fuel upgrades, alternator, engine mounts, etc.). Also whatever suspension modifications that will be needed to deal with the extra weight of the motor.

Misc:
Also since I will already need to change out the transmission I was wondering would the 727 with overdrive be alright to be able to handle that much power if I beefed it up?
One other thing, with all of this I am sure I would need a new driveshaft that could handle this power, but the real question here is: Can the axle that I have on the truck now, take that much power(if it is beefed up), or do I need to replace that too?

Now with all of this said I am asking if anyone knows of any places that can do this type of build up for my truck. Preferably close to Louisiana, but if not give me the names of the places anyway. Hopefully places that won't charge me $10,000 for just the engine. Also if anyone can let me know of other things that I would also need to look at before doing this, or even if some of the above is not necessarilly needed, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S.: I was looking at hughesengines.com to see what they had as far as big blocks, and the closest thing they had to what I wanted was a 505ci(440 stroked) with 650 hp. Now that is all fine and dandy put the monster cost something like $10,380. Now I'm not trying to be cheap here but in the build up I stated above I didn't figure it would cost much more than about $15000 for the entire truck to be finished(body work, paint job, engine, suspension, transmission, fabrication, etc.), not 10000 for just the engine. Am I wrong or does this seem like an extremely high price?
Old 02-22-2002, 11:16 PM
Inactive User

Default get real

the difference between 10's and 11's could cost $8-10000. to push 4400 lbs through a quarter mile in 11.9 will take approx. 630 hp at the engine or 480 hp at the rear wheels. big difference between a truck and a cuda,duster or camero. don't let anyone fool you into spending a lot of money on results you may not be happy with. to get some info on horsepower and et's and etc. go to www.prestsge.com and click on car math. this may help you decide on which direction to go. good luck
Old 02-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

I don't know, I may be missing something, but as of right now that link is not working for me. Also if that link is just for ets, etc. can you give me a link to a site that can help me with building the motor etc.?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2002, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

I think the link is www.prestage.com . Also the power you are talking about making is going to take the driveablity away from your truck. My car makes 650 HP and gets 4-5 mpg and if you run race fuel at $3.25 a gallon it can be very expensive even if you dont break any parts. I would recomend a large cid (493) engine with some E brock heads and flat top pistons and a hyd cam, set it up for pump gas 11.0 to 1 . You should not have any trouble making 500 hp and be very streetable. If thats not enough ad a small NOS kit maby 150 hp. With this type of combo you schould run a 3.91 or 4.10 gear and a 3000 converter. Your stock axle should be changed,with that weight and power it wont last long.

www.BestMachineRacing.com
Old 02-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that I wanted the engine to make all that power on just the motor. I have no problem if it needs a supercharger, turbo, and/or nitrous. I figured it would be perfectly streetable(if you build it right) even with that horsepower anyway though. The engine(505ci stroker) I talked about from hughes makes something like 650hp and it runs on 92-93octane gas. I don't care how I get to the 11s or 10s but I do want it to be fairly streetable.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Does anyone else have anything to add?
Old 02-25-2002, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

Cool A different Course

I have done a lot of drag racing in the past, so I can speak from some experience. Personally, I would not build a truck as a 10 second drag machine.

You already have what could be a good TOW vehicle for a light drag car. I would look around for an altered roadster, ex-funny car (Chrysler body of course) or something of that nature and build a mild big block with an automatic. This would put you easily in the 10's with a very low maintenace combination that you could race every weekend in the brackets and would not put you in the poorhouse.

You could spend the difference on a good open trailer and your personal safety equipment (Helmet, fire suit etc.). By reducing the weight and size of the race vehicle, you will need less power to achieve your goal and I assume your goal is to have some fun.