Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-24-2002, 02:30 AM
Inactive User

Angry Help!! TTI header problems

Well all went well with the installation of my TTI headers...almost. I finished putting back together the steering assy. and when I went to check clearance underneath I found that the passenger side of the centerlink contacts a tube when the wheels are straight. I shimmed up the mounts and set the motor height and side to side measurments according to TTI directions. The contact is still there and it is enough to cause damage to that tube. What is wrong? these headers fit so nice EVERYWHERE else. Has anybody ran into this before with an A-body and smallblock????? I will make clearance if I have to (hammer to tube). But I want to rule out anything else of course. Any suggestions at all are helpful!!!!
Old 02-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Ssame problem here too

I have had the same problem, but discovered it after the tube was scaped up. I just added a little clearance with a hammer and a punch. Not much else i could do. Do you have good clearance between the torsion bar and the header tubes around the collector on the drivers side?. I can hear the tubes rattle on the torsion bar also. Other than that I love them, and I'm glad I spent the extrea for them. Toddd.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply. I have excellent clearance everywhere else. Which is why i was so disappointed to find out what i did. I guess i will have to make clearance with a hammer.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

what center link are you using? that may have something to do with it.....
mike
Old 02-25-2002, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

I am using the factory original centerlink. This was originally a 273 v8 car. I did notice slop in the idler arm causing the assy. to move upwards a little while turning, but even with the wheels straight their is contact with the header tube.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

stupid question...........

could you try using flowtech shorty headers and having a muffler shop make you an adjoining peice to the headers like the dodge ram exhaust...........where the 2 bolts (1 on either side of the tube pulls the pipe tight to the manifold/header???

i think this will solve your clearence problems....

i have a set on my 96 ram 1500 with a 318 in it and they fit perfect.......i know that your application is a world of difference apart from mine, but im just asking if it would work......

my other car is a 69 cuda.....so i do know a little bit about a-bodies...............

by the way im partig this car out if you need parts lemme know...

realdeal6973@aol.com

check out my list in the parts section of this chatsite...

69 b'cuda for sale and other various parts too..

thanks
jim
Old 02-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

I'm considering a set of tti's for my SB '73 Duster. I saw the display at the Mopar Nationals last year and came away very impressed, especially with the starter fit.

My question is, what did you do after adjusting (hammer) the tube as far as the ceramic coating goes? I would think the coating would chip off and leave raw metal exposed.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Well I didnt clearance them yet, but as far as the coating, you cant see that part of the header anyways, so i dont care if its scratched. Everywhere else looks really good!
Old 02-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

re coat with POR-15.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

Default what happened to the coating???

The coating took a beating in the area of contact with the steering linkage. I used Stage 8 fasteners to bolt the headers on and the coating would "flake off" when I scraped the flanges. I noticed a little sign of rust on some of the welds that join the pipe to the flange. I don't know how it would get a start "IF" they were ceramic coated. I love the headers, but I'm not impressed with the ceramic coating though. Just my opinion. Toddd.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Hey guys ,im using the TTI headers on my 72 b-body and they fit extremely well(no clearancing or "adjusting" required). mine are chrome plated and have about 30,000 miles on them and still look very good.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

And that would be the difference between an A and B body. My brother has a 68 Charger with a 440, using 2" headers with good clearance. A different story with an A-Body.