Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Another Good Day For Sterling

I was hoping that he could hold on, but oh well. Second place is great. Hope Sterling will win Dodge's 1st Championship since the return.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Default where was the red flag

I'd just like to know where the red flag was. Didn't seem to have a problem when Marlin was leading last week but couldn't find it this week. Nascar says not enough laps but I don't buy it. A Ford was in the lead was the reason I think.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Sterling Marlin

I was waiting for the red flag...I think Sterling had a great car and probably could have won. He got into some oil and slowed(so did Labonte because I'm sure they thought there would be a yellw)
Had they red flagged it and restarted, it was a race between at least 3 or 4 cars. Sterling Had a great car!!
I'm betting Sterling wins the points this year. That would rock!!!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Inactive User

Two problems why NASCAR didn't throw the red. Clean up would have been a bear, oil was around the whole track.
And as much as I hate to say it Matt had everyone covered, so the best car did win. Matt ran the low grove, granted no oil, if Sterling could have run the low grove he would have and been out of the oil, he got run down under green flag conditions.

Michael
Old 02-25-2002, 10:20 PM

There's a reason Kenseth's car was the quickest, it was a quarter inch to low!
http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/head...nes/index.html
Old 02-25-2002, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

FOUL FOUL FOUL- oh MY GOD FOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL Hey if there not gonna pull the win, or the points and it's only a 25 K infraction- Ummmm correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it STILLL pay to cheat??????? oh Oh OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, I was hoping Sterling would win but he didn't. Kenseth's car being 1/4" too low really isn't a big deal. That is so easy to happen. He could have gotten into someone with the front nose and pushed down the valence; or, he could have lost some gas pressure in his shocks; or, he could have been light on fuel which caused the rear to be higher thus causing the front valence to be lower. Who knows! They only check the top 5 in post race inspection. Probably 10 other cars were in the same situation-you just don't hear about it.

I can assure you the ride height was correct before the race.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Inactive User

I know your right, I just wanna see mopar take it ALLL The thing that bugs me would be if it started to happen on a regular basis. Mopar got slapped in the early 70's. I don't remember who it was, but they set the car up with a slotted suspension so the car would be good at the Initial check. Once the down force came on, the suspension would drop to lower the car. Too funny how creative they can get. Either way- 1/4 inch can make the necessary difference for the car to run harder. From what I read it was the roof of the car, not the front height that was lower- so I'm not so sure that was accident. I think if the car doesn't pass both inspections- no go...... but I'm a harda$$ about that stuff.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:32 PM
Inactive User

I agree with Sanborn, a quarter inch, and it was roof height, is no big deal. It didn't cause his car to run 1/2 second faster. No big deal in my book. In our racing we have had guys with left side weight at 55.2% on a 55% rule, valve springs that are to be 115lb and are 120, yes it's breaking the rule and they did get a DQed, but it didn't make them that much better.

Michael
Old 02-27-2002, 12:17 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Nonetheless,
He would not have been able to start the race being a ΒΌ" low so why does he still get the trophy and the points if he can't pass the same tech inspection at the end of the race?????
Old 02-27-2002, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, I heard on TV last night the roof of the car was 1/4" too low. What I was told on Monday by someone who was there(eyeballs on the "Room of Doom") was Nascar Tech couldn't get the height gauge(sawed off 2X4) under the front valence(air dam). But then again if the front valence was too low, the roof could be too low also.

But anyway, there is another race this weekend. Our season offically starts this weekend also(if we don't get "iced" out).
Old 02-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Default No red flag?

Hate to admit that a Ford had a great day but somebody on the #17 team was paying attention! Maybe the crewchief or spotter told him to keep his foot in it so the pace car could pick him up on the NEXT lap!!!!!!! Hence...not enough laps left to throw a red, go back to yellow, open pit road, let everyone pit then go green again. If he made that quick assesment and decission by himself, that's a big-time veteran move by a young dude and he deserves a lot of credit.
Anyway, you've got to be pleased with the strong performance by the mopars so far. hope it's just the begining!
Old 02-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Six pack,

Things change in racing for 400 miles, if the front of his car was all banged up would yuou still want his ride height to be right?
Springs settle in, they may have put less air in the last set of tires he put on. There are just a ton of things that could happen. The way I look at is, the performance gain was slim to none, so just leave it alone. I like NASCARS thinking that the fans know who won the race. We had a race last year, that was on TV, that the 5th place guy was the real winner. Nobody knows who the real winner was.

Michael
Old 02-27-2002, 10:32 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I understand things happen through the race like damage, etc.
I have just started watching NASCAR again since now I can root for my manufacturer, I had not watched since the late 70's.
So I do realize that I don't have a clue on some of these rulings.

But if it worth fining him over don't you think it was more than just race wear and tear??

Hey, it's just the way I see it.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

Angry fair?

I think if you want to be fair, the first thing NASCAR has to do is make a ruling change on the last 10 lap deal. If there is a caution, throw the red , period. It should not be at the whim of the official who should win the race under caution. The one exception should be weather. Whats your opinion?
'the old man'