Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-25-2002, 03:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Performance shocks for on-road use?

I have 02 Durango R/T - I replaced the front and rear sway bars with Hotchkis products, and I still do not like the way it handles. It has factory "high performance shocks" but I think I can improve the handling. Since I am only going off-road once in a great while, I want to put on some good high performance shocks for street use.
Any thoughts or experience?
Old 02-28-2002, 06:10 AM
Regular Guy

Bilsteins will go well with the Hotchkis. I'd call Hotchkis for a recommendation though.

I just put Rancho RSX on my '99 and they are great, they ride much stiffer and control body motions very well.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

Good idea to call Hotchkis - thanks Kevin!
Bill
Old 03-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Bill:

I'd go with one of the Rancho products if I were you. You could do like Kevin, and get the RSX's, which automatically adjust the firmness. Or, you can go the route that I went, and get the Rancho RS 9000's. These shocks are allso adjustable. You can set up the operation one of two ways. 1st, you can install them with the knobs for adjustment still on the shocks. To adjust them, you need to crawl under your D and adjust them. This way, you get maximum performance.

The 2nd way is the way that I went. You can get a remote control for them. The fault with this way is that you can only adjust the firmness on two groups, front and rear. Personally, I like it where ya don't have to crawl underneith. However, my compressor blew only after 2 months. I don't think this is normal though. The whole set goes for under $400.00.

I have been goin thru a bit of a hassel with the vendor that I got them from. Tryin to get a replacement compressor. However, when I first bought the stuff, service was quite good. The whole process took only 4 days, from orderin them, to getting them. So Bill, if ya decide to go with the 9000's, let me know, and I'll give ya the name of the place that I got them from. BTW, Rancho has a site that you can check out those different types of shocks.

Later
Ugg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d compressor in 2.jpg (45.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the advice Ugg - I'll keep you posted on what I decide for the shocks.

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-04-2002, 05:42 PM

I have and highly recommend the Edelbrock shocks. Everyone I know that has them love them. Its just too bad they are so expensive.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Question

Ugg,

Found this post and you made on another Forum on the same day you posted the above. I cut/pasted it here.....seems alittle different than the one you made here....what do really think of Rancho and 4 wheel parts??? I am thinking of the same setup for my new Durango??

===============================

WARNING, WARNING!!!!!!

Have ya heard the saying"Let The Buyer BEWARE!!!!"? Well, beware of 4 Wheel Parts. They're on the net. As some of you know, I have a set of Rancho RS 9000's with the remote. Also, as some of you knew, after two months of light use, the compressor blew.

Now, after a month of emails and the such, like who are you, and again, who are you, and I mean that they knew cause I identified myself each and every time, and the capper of all times, where is it (the compressor) at? Well asshol_, it's at my house where it has been all this time, waiting for you to tell me what to do with it! I only asked in each email what they wanted me to do with it.

I must give credit where credit is due. It only took 4 days for me to recieve the set after I ordered it. But DAMN, a freakin month to get a replacement part that's under warranty. Jesus F'n Christ, give me a break.

They finally told me that they'll send me a new compressor, however, they'll charge me for it then, they'll give me a refund when I send back the broken one. Watch, they'll say that they can only give me a store credit as a refund. Meanwhile, if I tow anything, I wind up playin "OH S_IT!" as it goes all over the road anytime that I go over a bump. God help me if I have to stop fast. If I hit the trailer brakes to fast, it's like I'm doin a wheelie. No steering what so ever. Fun huh?

I hate to think of what would happen if I was towing a piece of equipment. Now, one of the reasons I got the D is it's ability to tow a nice size load. I've had Suburbans before. I know, a new Suburban would cost a left lung, and it doesn't have the legroom of the D. Also, Suz wouldn't feel to intimidated by the D when she'd have to drive it. Yes, this is an aftermarket product, but GM offers the road stabilizer sytem. The D doesn't have that.

So be caeful out there.

Later
Ugg
Old 03-05-2002, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

BadRam:

The truth, I LOVE THE SET-UP, but I'm not t happy about the run around that I've been getting from 4 Wheel Parts. I hte to say tis, but their price on this set-up was great, as the best price I couldfind around here (t Chicago Metro Area) was $100.00 per shock, and $279 for the remote kit. It cost lesthan $400.00 from them, which included shipping, and it only took 4 days from the time I ordered it til I got it.

Now I've been playing with these people for OVER a God Damn month, to get a replacement compressor. It's beyond funny. Hell, it's a warranty part, and they knew when I bought it. They'd have high ratings on the Ugg-O-Meter if it wasn't for this return issue. There, they FAIL miserably! Over 1 F'n month, so far. I sill don't have the part yet. Bummer.

Now I don't know if this compressor failure thing happens allot? I've not heard of it before in regards to the Ranchos. I've talked to allot of people about it. Nope, nobody heard a thing. Oh well. Tat's all I can tell ya BadRam. I hope it clears things up for you.

Later
Ugg