Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-03-2000, 08:36 AM
Inactive User

Question

First off I must say that I am up near Brian's neck of the woods(Cold Lake) so it is cold here right now.
A little background first, recently I put a 4bbl manifold and carb on my truck's 360. The carb and manifold were off a 80 mirada GT.
Ever since the truck will only start if I pump the gas and crank the engine.Once it catches it runs fine and will start fine until the next morning or after it has sat for a long period of time.
Now I have replaced the fuel pump thinking that the fuel was draining back to the tank, but it seems to have not helped the problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2000, 10:12 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Hey Toddler, how's the weather? So was the Mirada a 318 or 360, the carb is set up different for each. First, as far as I've been told, the TQ does not have a drain back problem. I'm gonna guess that the accelerator pump is weak, or set wrong. Did you put a kit in it when you installed it? My Ramcharger was converted to TQ last year, and it does crank a little excessively in the morning, 3-7 seconds. After it warms up, I can let it sit 2 hours, reach in and touch the key, and it hardly turns over and it is running. Mine was done by a real good Mopar tuner named Brian Powers. He drilled out some transfer ports and did a nice job on re-build and setup.2 other things come to mind though, 1 the throttle shafts can wear the housing causing vaccum leak. ( mine are wore slightly) 2 Timing, timing is very important. Check your timing and do it accurately, you changed intakes so you may or may not have removed the distributer, or you may have bumped it. I just changed the Hall Effect piece in the distributer in my 91 fuel injected unit. I set the timing, but I re-checked it a week later and you know what, I had to set it again, must have rushed the job, or maybe my eyes are getting old, who knows.
Hope this helps, and remember....

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 01-04-2000, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Brian.
For question 1, no I didn't rebuild the carb. Where is this Brian Powers located,I wouldn't mind seeing if he would set my carb up?
For question 2, yes the timing is set up right on the money as per the specs for this engine.

Toddler

P.S. I have just recieved a 440 with 727 tranny out of a 77 station wagon, know of anyone looking for one?
Old 01-04-2000, 08:13 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

My friend Brian Powers is in Ft Mac, it is kind of hard to get him involved in things. He is an Automotive Mechanic as well as Heavy Duty, and he has 2 Little Red Express Trucks as well as a million other Mopar projects. I will ask him if he is interestsd however, we never know when he feels like something out of the ordinary.

As for the 440 and trans, I have a 79 shortbox stepside frame up resto 4x4. I currently have a 318 and a 360, but 440 has been tossed around several times as the way to turn those 35x12.5x15 Mud Terrains.E-mail me and let me know if you want to part with it. b.mills@home.com

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills

[This message has been edited by Brian Mills (edited January 04, 2000).]